Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

hiking

>

Teddi9192

hiking
Old 02-19-2017, 01:04 PM

my goal for the spring is to hike at least one day per month. I need some recharging and it is really appealing to me. I will probably be hiking mostly in state parks and solo. I really doubt I can convince my DH to join me and my teen boys ...

The trails are typically considered moderate with max distance close to 10 miles. For those of you who hike, what are some necessary items? I have been eyeing a smallish backpack with a water bladder. Do you hike in running shoes or specific hiking shoes? Any other tips or things I should know?

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 PM

I do lots of hiking. Shoes depend on the terrain and the weather.

I always have a pack (for longer than 5 miles) with rain gear, an extra layer (or two), some high energy snacks and water.

Though I do hike alone, I only do it on trails I know. I would look for a nearby club or someone else interested in the same goals.

Enjoy!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-19-2017, 02:04 PM

I absolutely love hiking <3

I go at least once a week in the summer with other teachers at my school.

I usually bring a small back pack with water, rain gear (I have a really light rain jacket that fits in a small pouch), small snacks, and depending on the weather a sweater to put on.

I wear running shoes most of the time, but I do wear hiking shoes on the trails that are rougher terrain.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Hiking
Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 PM

We just wear well broken in walking or running shoes with a good pair of socks. Always a lightweight backpack with snacks, water , tissues, phone. My husband uses walking sticks for most terrains. It is a delightful way to spend time outdoors!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

And a whistle
Old 02-19-2017, 02:46 PM

In case you need to alert anyone for help or other reasons. I carry a small bottle of all natural bug spray and extra sunscreen, along with everything mentioned. Most of my hikes are 6-8 miles and I pack 2 liters of water in a bladder (fits inside backpack), high protein and some carb snacks, extra socks (always wool), light rain jacket/windbreaker, tissues, a bandana (1000's of uses!) I always wear sunglasses and a hat to protect from sun, bugs, and pollen. Hiking sneakers or shoes are a good investment if you decide to go often. They will support your foot in the necessary manner for woodsy trails and your feet/knees/hips will thank you. Finally, try out hiking with hiking poles. It allows you to use your arms (build those muscles) and make crossing streams, crevices, and rocky places so much more fun.
Check online for hiking demonstrations at the park or a sporting goods store like REI. I have become an avid hiker in the past 5 years and had a lot of "fails" along the way, but I'm addicted!

SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-19-2017, 02:48 PM

In case of bad weather, I try to line my pack with a plastic shopping bag or (depending upon size) garbage bag. Nothing worse than hiking, getting wet, having a sweater in the pack and finding the rain soaked through.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

I hike alone
Old 02-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Since I hike by myself I think of worst case scenarios. Thus if over 4 miles I carry a backpack with way more water than I think I'll need, snacks that are high calorie, a flashlight, an emergency blanket, Tylenol and a kindle. Besides the water, these things are light. The idea being if I get hurt or fall I'll be ok for a bit and have something for my mind to focus on with the kindle (I also enjoy reading in awe inspiring places).

I do wear hiking boots. I don't think it's necessary but it can help your ankle from rolling and I promised my dad I'd wear them because he was afraid about rattle snakes biting my ankle in the desert. Silly parents.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

Old 02-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Timely post! I have just gotten back into hiking and have been online looking for small daypacks and new hiking shoes. All the advice her is really helpful. I was out on Friday and wish I'd had my rain gear (in my golf bag) and a small pack instead of just my lumbar water holder that has room for almost nothing else. It was really windy and that made my eyes water and my nose run. I only had two tissues. I will be better prepared next time!
Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-19-2017, 05:12 PM

I go out and sometimes don't see anyone else. I carry a small first aid kit and one of those er whistles with a mirror and a small place to put matches. I have never had to use it, but better safe than sorry. I have used the first aid kit. A bandana is a great contraption, like others said. I also carry a map of the area and a compass most of the time, if I don't take a gps. Even on trails you are familiar with, if something weird happens, a map can help you reorient.

Buy a pack that is larger than just carrying water. Then you will have space to tuck in all the other necessary things. I hike in the mountains, so fleece clothing that dries easily and layers are important.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote