Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Nightmares

>

Loveslabs

Nightmares
Old 06-26-2018, 05:24 PM

I have nightmares on a regular basis. Iím in my fifties. Iíve always had nightmares, but they have been getting worse for about 15 years now. As you can imagine my husband is just thrilled about this.

I fall asleep and wake up about 10-30 minutes later. Iím usually screaming or on the verge of screaming. I usually am sitting up or leaping across the bed. My heart races and it takes a while to calm down. I donít remember much except I usually think someone is in our room, a face is above me and coming down toward me, or someone I love is falling and Iím trying to save them.

Many times I can stop myself from screaming because Iíve learned to recognize it is a dream and tell my self to stop. Usually I go back to sleep and sleep through the rest of the night.

Iíve read about this quite extensively, but I canít seem to figure out what is up with all of this. Taking half of a lorazepam before bed helps about 80% of the time. Ií tried yoga and meditation before bed but they donít consistently help me.

Anyone else out there have any experience with nightmares?

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-26-2018, 05:29 PM

My EX had horrible night terrors. Nobody warned me about this, so it scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. He did have OCD and severe anxiety, which probably contributed to it. He also had a traumatic brain injury and did not take any medication. He would think someone was in the room, and he sometimes said spiders were dangling over him.

I only have nightmares when I eat a heavy meal or take certain medications (antibiotics, for instance). My dreams always involve trying to escape from people who are actually demons.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Do you read before falling asleep? Sometimes an intense book will trigger a nightmare for me.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 PM

I have nightmares when I watch too much "Forensic Files" on tv. Perhaps a med is causing your problem? Our brains are working out sub conscious memories so perhaps there is a hidden anxiety somewhere. If this night time activity interferes with my happiness during the day, I would seek some counseling.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Nightmares
Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 PM

I have nightmares when my BS are high. I hate it. I wake myself up (sometimes screaming, sometimes not), walk around a bit, then go back to sleep. Sometimes the nightmares continue, I wake up back, think, dammit, heck no, start fussing, fall back to sleep and they go away. It helps me to think about a character from a book.

DiamondGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 06-26-2018, 05:59 PM

This sounds like night terrors to me. I suffer from them as well and your description of what you see and how you react is similar. Once my mom had to tackle me because I was running screaming through the house.

I find that I have them more often when I'm stressed or overtired. I don't have any advice unfortunately.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Nightmares
Old 06-26-2018, 06:06 PM

I had horrific nightmares when I was taking Melatonin to try to help me sleep. I'm off of that.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

I do
Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 PM

I take Lamotrigene (generic for Lamictal) as a seizure medication. Since going on this drug I started having vivid dreams, almost always nightmares. I don't know if you saw my post recently, but I even dreamed my son had passed away and I had to break the news to my other children. Two nights ago, I dreamed a monsterous cockroach got flicked on my lap, so I knocked it to the floor. My husband was screaming at me to kill it, that it was getting away. I woke up stomping my feet on the bed trying to kill the thing. You are supposed to be paralyzed when you sleep, but on this drug I talk, cry, and apparently stomp my feet in my sleep. A lot of times I wake up from a dream and it feels so real that I am not sure if it was a dream. The night I dreamed about my son, I woke up so choked up and scared. I had to message him at work (it was daytime where he lives) and ask him to tell me he is ok. It is frustrating and negatively affects my feelings about bedtime.

Lamictal and Lorazepam are both psychotropic drugs. They affect chemicals in the brain. They effect emotions. They can cause nightmares. I don't know what your options are, but I want off my seizure medicine. Obviously, I choose to stay on it because I don't want to have seizures, but would go off it in a heartbeat if I could be seizure free. One thing I read is that nightmares are more likely to occur when a person first starts taking the medication, or when they are adjusting to a new dosage, so the dosage needs to remain consistent. You probably also know you can't just go off a psychotropic drug, but need to be slowly weaned off of them to avoid serious consequences. You said you have always had the nightmares and the lorazepam actually helps you, so this is different than I have read, so I wonder if it is actually contributing to the nightmares somehow.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-26-2018, 07:07 PM

Do you sleep on your back? There is some information out there suggesting that sleeping on your back (for some people, at least) can reduce oxygen flow and cause intense nightmares. I found that out through extensive searching online because of the many nightmares I have. I always sleep on my side now and if I (rarely) have a nightmare, I almost always wake up and discover I'm on my back. Just a thought.

I hope you get it figured out!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

nightmares
Old 06-26-2018, 09:43 PM

I have had nightmares my whole life because of severe abuse. I take trazadone to help me sleep because going to sleep makes me so anxious. My dear husband has been accidently hit and punched quite a few times because of them

PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Elyssa

Try upping your intake of B vitamins,
Old 06-27-2018, 03:16 AM

particularly B1 and B6. Also, calcium magnesium in a powdered form in water (CALM) may help you.
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Trazadone
Old 06-27-2018, 04:19 AM

I was going to recommend trazadone also. My DS had to start taking it to sleep after someone he was veey close to passed away. DS has anxiety and is a perfectionist. He was havung severe nightmares about the person hating him because he couldn't save him from dying. The lack of sleep lead to depression, so they put him on a low dose of Trazadone.
I would also suggest a sleep study before medication. There may be something else going on. Talk to your doctor.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Peachyteacher

I use to have nightmares
Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 AM

I had really bad night terrors. I would wake up totally exhausted from them. They would replay in my head during the day. I never felt rested. Someone told me to check any meds that I was on and I did. One of my anxiety meds had night terrors as a side effect. I mentioned it to my doctor and she changed my anxiety med. It helped out a lot. I still have isolated ones but not as bad as before. Good luck on finding relief.
Peachyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Nightmares
Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 AM

It does sound like night terrors. I would also check any meds for side effects. No TV or books before bed might help.

Maybe look into a sleep study.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Nightmares
Old 06-27-2018, 09:06 AM

I have experience nightmares where I have been screaming so that when I wake up I can't swallow. Nightmares can occur when our brain is trying to process old trauma. They don't necessary play out what that trauma was though. Counseling with EMDR has helped so much. It might be worth looking into a good counselor. Perhaps you could ask your doctor to recommend someone?
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 PM

Have you tried any spiritual remedies? Saging, crystals, etc.?
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Ugh - me too
Old 06-28-2018, 01:18 PM

I used to get one now and then but 15 mos. ago had a concussion (knocked out, ambulance ride, etc) and have had them probably 5X a week since then. Thankfully they are getting less intense. I wish I had some suggestions, but I really don't. I'll be following this thread.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-29-2018, 02:19 AM

So sorry you've had to suffer through this (as well as your sleeping partner)!

I never had any kind of sleep issues nor don't know anyone who does, so I know nothing about nightmares or how to get rid of them. Have you ever seen a therapist about it in your life at all? If so, what do they say? What event in your life started it all from the beginning?

Regarding the lorazepam, never knew nightmares was a side effect, but my mom takes 1/2 of a 1 mg tablet of that for her dizziness/off feeling that she gets and it helps with that after 2 hrs of taking it. (She doesn't suffer from anxiety or bad dreams.) I finally tried the same med yesterday for the 1st time for my dizziness/off feeling and it didn't seem to make a difference on that day. I'm willing to try it again to see if it works on another day.

Will one of those sound machines that plays serene sounds or a diffuser at bedtime help at all? I hope these nightmares can stop somehow.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote