Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Zion National Park/March 2019

>

Christi508

Zion National Park/March 2019
Old 07-08-2018, 01:25 PM

I want to go there with my family on spring break next year...the end of March. I was reading about the crowds and we want to try to beat that, I know no one can predict the weather but what do you think about March? We are from Florida...any tips about where to stay etc would be awesome. I did look up one previous thread. )

Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-08-2018, 03:15 PM

March is a good month. I would hit Observation Point. It is a beautiful hike with not too many people because it’s a bit more difficult of a hike. I would leave early. As early as possible to get the first shuttle up. You can do the narrows, which is gorgeous. The shuttle takes you to the bottom up within the park. You can hike up as far as you would like. 16 Miles one way I believe. But you can’t get out at the top without climbing gear. Again as far as I know. It’s difficult walking on the rocks and through the water. It’s hard on your ankles. The water levels are extremely low at the moment so it’s slightly easier. Top down you have to get a ride and can get a permit to camp one night within the narrows.I would do the narrows bottom up to see them. When you get to the fork in the road, go right in the narrows. Fewer people and a small waterfall.

I would do Angels Landing just to say you did it. It’s beautiful but again leave early to avoid the crowds. Drive up the canyon through the tunnels and do the overlook hike. It’s short but the view at the end is pretty incredible. Sometimes you can even see big horned sheep there.

Head up farther in the canyon and find a place to park. Anywhere. Get out and explore. Away from people. Head out the other side and head to Ponderosa Ranch. There’s a hike called Cable Mountain up there. It goes to a vantage point within the park. Fewer people. It’s about 8 miles I believe. Not sure of rules or whatnot out there but you could explore for a very long time and find places to camp for sure. There’s also access from the top to Observation Point up there.

There’s also petroglyphs within the park. The Emerald Pools hike is pretty and easy.

Permits: neither Angle's Landing nor Observation Point require them.
The narrows the bottom up doesn’t require one, but narrows top down does.

I'm super excited for you--can you tell? It's absolutely gorgeous.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

tester10

Zion is awesome
Old 07-08-2018, 05:24 PM

Iíve been to 43 National parks in the past 4 years and Zion is the best at logistics of moving people around.

I havenít been in March but would bet it is a good time. You will have such a good time. Stay in Springdale with a hotel that you can walk to the Springdale shuttle from, parking in Zion isnít fun.

If you arenít local to the area Iíd highly recommend Bryce Canyon 2 hours away. Not as much to do, but the views are spectacularly different (and much less crowded).
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Zion
Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Zion is beautiful, but I also recommend taking time to see Bryce Canyon. It is amazing.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Zion
Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Check out the desert pearl hotel in Springdale. Reasonable, clean and very zen. Right on the river. You will love it!

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ELAteacher2

Old 07-08-2018, 07:17 PM

We stayed in the lodge at Zion and had a nice experience. Parking was so much easier this way too since it filled up fast when we went. If you stay in the lodge, go into Springdale for dinner. The park’s only restaurant offers great views but sub par food. Rent or buy hiking poles and water shoes for hiking The Narrows. It’s a hike not to miss! Have fun.

Last edited by ELAteacher2; 07-08-2018 at 07:32 PM..
ELAteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

I regrettably have no advice
Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 AM

But I just want to say that my family stopped at Zion for only a day last summer, and it is in my opinion the most gorgeous of all the national parks Iíve visited. I really wish we could have spent more time there! We arrived around noon on a blazing hot day, and I was prepared to roast on our first hike. But down in the the canyon by the river it was pleasant and breezy. The park transportation was phenomenal.

As other posters said, Bryce Canyon is also beautiful and close by. I think Moab/Arches is probably a little too far away, but we also enjoyed it there.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote