Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Help Me Outfox DS!

>

h0kie

Help Me Outfox DS!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 PM

Since DS is what DH and I have lovingly termed a “flight risk,” we have taken what many would consider extraordinary measures to secure our home.

(The poor maintenance guys that came to save our house when it flooded are still traumatized by all the locks and alarms we have on our doors. )

This high gate has been up since he started scaling the wooden gate we had here. The gate forces DS into our bedroom in the morning instead of out into the main part of the house where there are innumerable dangers.

For the third time this week, DH and I have awakened to noises and lights on in the main part of the house. Someone has learned that he can take something (anything), put it up to the gate, and climb over. We keep removing objects, he keeps finding different ones.

Below is what I found this morning when I caught him in the act.

Any ideas? My first thought is to stack a wooden gate on top (we’re trying that tonight). But DH is afraid he’ll try to scale that and get hurt which is a legit concern. Once DS learns how to outsmart the systems we have in place, we have to reinvent the system.

Apparently, an electric fence and/or razor wire is out, too. DH is no fun at all.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Laser light alarm?

Nail all the furniture down?

That kid definitely keeps you on your toes!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Install a door there. It might help.. until he completely figures out the doorknob covers. You can also put a high metal hook lock at the top.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-21-2018, 09:10 PM

GK might have the idea, put a door in? I used the hook and eye latch below on all closets, pantries, etc. when my son was little.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 12-21-2018, 09:40 PM

I used a hook and eye latch on the door to my ds room at night when he was little. Sounds cruel but I had no other alternative after I was woken up by a 5 am call from my neighbor telling me my son was in his living room watching cartoons.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 12-21-2018, 09:49 PM

I'm confused why you are dealing with a gate. Doesn't he have a door on his bedroom? Agree with others that you need to put a hook and eye latch on his bedroom door so he can't get out of his room at night or in the morning.

Also, get a video baby cam (if you don't already have one) and then you can keep an eye/ear on what he's doing in there and you will know exactly when he wakes up. He's one of those kids who needs an eye on him at all times.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Thank you!
Old 12-22-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Doesn't he have a door on his bedroom?
Yes. I hesitate to put a hook an eye patch on his door because in a fire, with locked windows, he would be completely trapped (and not able to call for help). A few years back, we put a door knob cover on the inside of his door, after a week laying in bed worrying about that, I decided a gate funneling him to our room was better. When he wakes up, he wants/needs to get to me (previously). If he can’t, he generally tries to escape to find me.

Quote:
Also, get a video baby cam (if you don't already have one) and then you can keep an eye/ear on what he's doing in there and you will know exactly when he wakes up.
We have one. Have had one since he was born. Our sends us a movement alert anytime he moves...or his curtain blows.

Quote:
He's one of those kids who needs an eye on him at all times.
Ya think?

Quote:
until he completely figures out the doorknob covers.
Oh, GK, those are no match for him when he decides he wants in a room. The door knob covers I can’t get off, he just pulls them apart and in he goes. Hulk smash!

We’re in the process of putting lever handles on certain doors because I finally found a lever door lock he hasn’t figured out....yet.

I’ll talk with DH about the hook and eye latch. Does it matter that our doors are hollow?

Thank you for the suggestions!

SportingKC

Old 12-22-2018, 06:21 AM

This is kind of extreme, but can you just add a regular door there? Maybe move the handle up really high and put a knob cover on it?
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Does it matter that our doors are hollow?
Our interior doors are all hollow core and my son never pulled out the hook and eye closure, but he also never pulled the rear view mirror off my car, so clearly your son's HULK SMASH style is a little different...

Zia

Old 12-22-2018, 06:38 AM

I think, honestly, I'd lock him in his room. I understand the fire danger, but that is a relatively remote MAYBE and him roaming the house unattended is a DEFINITE danger. Add more smoke alarms maybe to help with that concern?

I understand completely how difficult this is and I felt weird locking my kid in his room at night when he was a toddler. We turned the doorknob around so the lock was on the outside. But, I also thought, if he were still in a crib, he would be JUST as vulnerable in a fire. It was not an easy decision, but I slept better knowing my son wasn't building a fort out of knives in the kitchen while I slept.

It is an intensely personal decision and you might work on convincing your husband about the electric fence/shock collar plan.

GraceKrispy

Old 12-22-2018, 08:24 AM

My daughter was like this. For her safety, we turned around her doorknob so we could lock her in. I worried about her safety in a fire, but I worried more about her roaming the street at night. Especially after it happened..
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-22-2018, 08:56 AM

How about a simple alarm on his bed room door. That way if he open his door you would bee alerted before he started his Houdini antics. There are a wide variety available online-some for Alzheimer patients some for pool doors.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 12-22-2018 at 09:42 AM..
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Stable door?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:30 AM

I'm sure there is a proper name for them you could have a high lower door, and the top on could be open so he still see some light.

My friend worked at a therapeutic group home where there was an iron bar metal door on the kitchen. It was all like ivy scroll work for the bars. Painted white. You could see right through it.
(Think more fence).

You could hang a hook with a big key ring on the outside of the door for an emergency.

Theirs had to be heavy duty because they had 6'4"/250+ lbs teenagers living there. They could rip a regular door right off the hinges.

You probably don't need that much door for your little guy.

HTH
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-22-2018, 11:02 AM

We always called them Dutch doors.

Tawaki had a good suggestion. HGTV says:
Quote:
Used in early New England as a way to let light in while keeping children close, the style works equally well for a modern-day kids' room.
HGTV even has a tutorial to make an interior one.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/ki...ior-dutch-door
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-22-2018, 01:22 PM

Is there enough space to put a second gate several feet away from the first? I'm thinking that it might be challenging to get over one gate and put something between the gates that would allow him to climb over the second gate. But they would have to be far enough apart that he couldn't scale both at once. Hmmmm.

Any chance that you could rig up some sort of alarm that would be triggered by getting too close to the gate? Maybe it would say, "Danger. Do not touch." or "Go find your mom." or even "Santa is watching you. Go back to bed."

The good news is that your son is persistent, creative, and a problem-solver. That's also the bad news.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The good news is that your son is persistent, creative, and a problem-solver. That's also the bad news.
Exactly!

h0kie

Old 12-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Truer words have never been spoken. And since his trip to the neurologist, his problem solving skills have exploded. It’s fabulous.

My FIL is coming soon. We plan to have him install the hook and eye latch.

Thanks again!

jvar87

Old 12-22-2018, 05:49 PM

I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to say that it can be very dangerous to stack gates on top of each other. I have read articles about toddlers getting strangled after getting their heads stuck between the gates somehow.
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote