Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dog owners

>

NCteacher

Dog owners
Old 12-25-2018, 07:10 PM

We adopted a year old blue heeler/husky mix four days ago. We were told he was crate trained, but Iím not sure. We have been kenneling him at night. He goes in just fine, but once we close the door and go to bed he whines and fusses and thrashes around. We have made sure he has gone to the batheooom before we kennel him. We ignore the fussing and within 5 minutes, he settles down and is fine all night. Do your dogs sleep loose in your house? I think if I put a bed in my room, heíd be perfectly happy. He goes in and out of his kennel during the day a few times on his own. Heís had a hard start in life and I think he hates being apart from us. That worries me when we have to leave for work or just run errands he might need doggie Prozac! I have these dog treats called Composure chews. They have a relaxing effect- they arenít medicine. Our vet gave them to use- but he wonít eat them!

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Our five have the run of the house when we are gone. They sleep with us at night. One sleeps on the sofa in the living room, but the other four are in the bed with us.

I had a husky that stayed in the den when we were gone. She had a bed in ther. She also slept there. She never did sleep in my bed, or even in my room.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-25-2018, 07:14 PM

If heís settling down within 5 minutes heís fine. He may be testing you to see if youíll let him out.

I let mine sleep loose but Iíve had them for 7 years. I wouldnít let him out until youíve had him awhile and know you can trust him.

The #1 new dog owners make is too much freedom too quickly.

Leave him crates at night and when youíre gone. Heís fine.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

I have a high anxiety dog...
Old 12-25-2018, 08:02 PM

Do you have the kennel in your bedroom? He may just be sad to not be in the same room as you. Also, give it time because he's still learning your routine. I know it seems like a long time, but four days isn't really a lot of time when training a dog.

As far as the anxiety, my dog is on prozac and seems to be a happier dog. BUT we tried a number of other things before giving medication. I would encourage you to give it a bit more time and let your new pup adjust to your home.

When leaving, have all your things ready to go. Kennel your dog and put a filled Kong toy in the kennel. Get your things and walk out the door. Don't detour at all. This will help puppy keep distracted while you're leaving and he won't feel like you're leaving him behind as much.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Great advice! We donít allow him on furniture or in beds. He was adopted once before, but it only lasted a week or two. The guy who adopted him didnít understand that he needs a lot of play time and exercise every day. He thought if he played with him on the weekends, that was enough. Heís such a sweet dog. He isnít interested in treats or play as a reward- but if you praise him and love on him, he just eats it up.

NCteacher

Old 12-26-2018, 05:08 AM

You were right- Blue settled down after a few minutes and slept till 7:00 this morning. All part of the getting to know you part!