Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Aldi

>

teacherwriter

Aldi
Old 02-24-2019, 03:56 AM

A new Aldi is getting ready to open within a couple of miles of my home. I went to Aldi years ago and (sorry) found it just awful, so I haven't been back. What are the newer stores and merchandise like? I'm wondering whether it's worth checking out...

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-24-2019, 04:04 AM

My sister and a few friends shop there. I did once about 10 years ago. I guess they have some great deals on produce, but you canít always depend on finding the same things there each week. I keep meaning to go back, but just never do. My grocery store is really huge and I know where to find what I want efficiently. Creature of habit
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

aldi
Old 02-24-2019, 04:14 AM

I buy German chocolates, seasonal pasties, some produce, milk if we need it. It is nearby but I don't go often. Just have a quarter for your cart-refundable and take your own bags.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 02-24-2019, 04:25 AM

Our ALDI has the best produce of the other stores. They also have the best produce prices around here. Their dairy prices are better too. I try not to buy much process food, so I could care less about the freezer section, but throughout the store, prices are lower.

What I don't like about ALDI is that I get used to a product then can't find it anymore. Usually that item is seasonal-- like they sell fitness type products and perceived healthier versions of foods in January. In the spring they sell stuff geared towards Easter. Towards summer, it's more about patio life, and cooking on the grill. It seems like there are more treats and comfort foods in the winter, more centered around the holidays.

All in all, I can shop.at ALDI and get what I need at a substantial savings. I do need to go to another store for a few items they might not have on a regular basis, or if I want a specific product or brand. When I shop at the regular grocery stores here, I tend to go to another store for things like toiletries looking for better prices, so going to a second store is just something I do, regardless of what grocery store.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 02-24-2019, 04:46 AM

I shop at a few stores, and Aldi is one of them. I love the produce section, their vegetables are really nice and the price is less than other stores. I will also pick up the basics, milk, bread, and eggs. Things like that.

meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-24-2019, 05:45 AM

It's the newest grocery store to my area, so I never knew it existed numerous years ago. Not one of my tops faves personally, but their prices are good, so U seem to go occasionally (about every few mos). So as you probably know, a relative of the creator of Trader Joe's created Aldi, which might be why one of the newest Aldis in a close city to me used to be a TJ's, unless that was just a coincidence.

This is the store when I had that unpleasant experience with their organic ground turkey in 2018 and I created a thread about it. There was some thick black hair intertwined in the clump of meat after I had cooked it was eating my tacos I had made from it. I reported it and they sent a GC with the value of the meat. I mean I guess that's all they could do, but yuck!!!

If you want to read the full thread, it's here:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...highlight=aldi

In 2016 when someone started a thread about them, I said the following, but I feel a little more favorably about them nowadays:

I've been to an Aldi a couple times, including at the one that just opened in my area. I personally don't care for them, so I don't see myself going there much. They don't really have any organic produce or organic items really in general, just a certain type, maybe two of the bagged lettuce/salad mix.

All I see is that they have the cheapest bottle of organic olive oil of all the stores, but even then, it doesn't seem to be cold-pressed olive oil, so there's really no need for me to go at all.

Now for the next few mos, I do have a few $10 OFF $40 coupons, so I might use those, but after that, who knows. There's definitely no need to go there for my TG meal.

I must say they have a clever way for employees to not have to go out & collect all the shopping carts from the parking lot...you have to pay 25 cents when you get the cart, but you get it back when you return it.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Aldi
Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 AM

No Aldi conveniently located nearby right now, but they are supposed to be taking over a supermarket that closed. Not sure of the timetable. I have only stopped in an Aldi on the Jersey shore to pick up items for a food drive at a race I was entered in, so I haven't seriously shopped there. The new store that is opening is not as close as my regular shopping stops, so unless I find myself over that way, I probably won't shop there regularly. I will be looking forward to checking out the prices and the basics like paper goods.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

Come back! Aldi's has changed!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 AM

How it is the go-to place in my area for the better quality stuff: fresh produce, fresh salmon, specialty cheeses. It is owned by the Trader Joes family and is kind of it's tamer, quieter cousin.

You will find a lot to like. Their fruit is higher quality, sweeter, fresher than other stores in our area. Their large round loaf of Italian bread is amazing. My daughter knew someone who worked in a cheese factory that packaged cheese spreads for high-brow delicacy sections of fancy stores and then packed the same cheese spreads for Aldi's and they sold for about 1/3 of the price there.

The prices on the basics: milk, eggs, butter, can't be beat in our area.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I like it
Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Itís not my 1st grocery choice but I like it for a lot of the reasons PPs have said.

Silly fact: I used to shop there when I lived in Germany when I was 16... itís funny to see them here now in the US.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Aldi
Old 02-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Silly fact: I used to shop there when I lived in Germany when I was 16... itís funny to see them here now in the US.
I have only shopped in German Aldi's (Aldis?), so I have no experience with them here. The Aldi's in Germany were OK, not great. I loved their fresh bread rolls made of whole grains.

Quote:
take your own bags.
This has always been the case in Europe, and now in California we also do it as California is trying to go greener by reducing plastic bag use. If you want a single-use bag from the store, you have to buy one. There was a lot of grumbling about it initially, but now people are used to bringing their own.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 PM

I love our Aldi's, but I use it as a supplement to my regular grocery stores because I can't always get everything I need there. They have great produce and a good selection of gluten free items that I buy for my DIL and DGD who both have Celiacs. I always like looking at all the seasonal merchandise they have.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

No opinion
Old 02-24-2019, 04:17 PM

I have never shopped there, but several friends think highly of this chain.
teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

Love aldiís!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:01 PM

The two near me have been recently remodeled. They are as nice or nicer than Kroger.

You will save tons of money and be able to buy 90% of what you want. For example we eat imitation crab and salad shrimp but those are seasonal items at Aldis. They also donít have fresh herbs besides cilantro.

What we do is I buy almost everything at Aldis to save time and money. Then my husband goes to Kroger to buy liquor and the two or three things I couldnít get at Aldis.

Btw: Aldis diapers and baby food pouches are the best and cheapest.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Usually start at Aldis
Old 02-24-2019, 07:14 PM

First, the stores in my area have been remodeled and are ALWAYS crowded.

Their produce is excellent! They carried real pumpernickel bread for awhile (A German product), their dairy is good, have only tried their pork chops in the meat department, used their paper products, plants in season are lovely and the price is low, their peanut butter tastes like a brand name one, good snacks, too.

Then, I finish the rest of my shopping at another grocery store (meat, fish, pet food, etc.). We donít eat a lot of processed foods.

I canít tell you how much I save at Aldiís.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM

I guess I'm in in the minority. We had them in my hometown but not here (that I know of). I always thought it was kind of gross. The stuff was cheap, but only because of the much lower quality- bruised/old produce and super off brands, etc. Maybe that was just a bad location. When I first started teaching, my best friend and I (she's also a teacher) did go there to get cheap books to start classroom libraries, but I wouldn't have touched the food.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Haley23
Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 AM

In the summer when I purchase blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries they often have the same brand name label as Jewel does.

I will admit when shopping that their produce is not refrigerated or on ice. So, you do have to be careful.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote