Help

The VENT

Is this all?

>

SoDone

Is this all?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I get up at 5:30a to get ready, leave my house by 6:30a (I work 30 mns away), go through my day, stay at school until around 5p (our planning is a measly 45 mns after three 90-minute classes if we get it so prep takes longer), drive home, do dinner/shower, watch a show or grade papers, and go to bed. The only exception is Wednesday nights when I play handbells and go to choir practice. This LearnZillion curriculum takes forever to use and I have no life. My mother (retired teacher) has no sympathy and says that's how it is but I just can't fathom the idea that life is just this career and sleeping. Sheesh.

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Life
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is a longgg day. I leave the house at 8, start work at 8:20, and work till my contracted time- 4:30. I rarely take work home. And it still feels long sometimes!

Sorry you're struggling. I totally agree life should be more than sleeping, a career and tv.

Could you try working part time? Pursuing a new hobby? Taking some art classes or playing a team sport? Volunteering for a charity or ministry that's close to your heart? Plan to have dinner with good friends once a week?

This might be a bit far fetched, but could you take a year off to travel? (Like a working holiday?)

It definitely sounds like you need to mix things up for a while!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

40 Hour Workweek
Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you havenít already, check out Angela Watsonís 40 hour workweek club and/or her book, 20 Ways to Love Teaching Everyday, No Matter What.Ē I think sheís wonderful. Lots of practical, time saving strategies and shifts in mindset. I wish I had discovered her earlier in my career, I wouldíve save a lot of time!

Good luck!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you a new teacher? Thatís how it was in the beginning for me. Iíve been teaching for 20 years and still have days like that, butís it not nearly as many as when I first started. I lived at school my first 2-3 years of teaching

Yesterday I was at work from 7-5 and then came home after my sonís baseball game at 9 and worked until midnight. I was behind on a few things, so I had a lot to do! Today I vow to leave work at 4 and only do 1 hour at most at home tonight!

We will see!
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sure school or admin expectations don't help your situation either. I've noticed a lot of people expect the only way you can do a good job at teaching is to sell your soul to the profession, but hey, it's for the kids right? And you get summers off, what could be better? Having balance year round. that's what's better. I understand the early morning and drive time. I work 40 minutes away and am up by 5. When 3:30 hits I'm out of here. If I didn't get things planned ALL the way, oh well. It's ok and all will live. Sometimes it can get overwhelming, but have a cut off time and GO HOME. Take time and balance for yourself. Especially at this point in the year. We're in the down hill slope to summer. Go hang out with a friend or get a quiet cup of coffee without papers to grade. Just enjoy the moment.

ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm not making light of your problems, but I saw this and it reminded me of this thread. Laughing helps?
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Not making light of it, either,
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

But life is what you make of it. If you feel like your life isn't as meaningful as you'd like it to be, make a change! Life is mostly everyday minutiae. It's up to you to find meaning in it.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The thing about teaching is that is can consume your entire life if you let it because there is ALWAYS something you could be doing. However, you have to figure out the difference between what HAS to be done and what COULD be done.

I don't bring work home, and I haven't in many years. I stay after school one day a week to prep for the next week, and every day I'm ready for the next day before I leave school.

I don't grade everything. I spot check many things. I can get a lot of small tasks done while the kids work. I use any planning time I get to work.

I'm not a morning person, so I arrive at school about 15 minutes before the kids get to my room. Our last busses leave around 3:30, and I go home around 4:00. The one day a week I stay late, it is often around 5:00 when I leave.

Sometimes I'll go to work on Sunday afternoon if I have something that I really must take care of. For example, I was out of school two and a half weeks with the flu and pneumonia, and I went to school the Saturday before I returned to make sure I was prepared for the next day.

My DH is also a teacher, and he does the same thing I do. He has a longer commute, and he's more of a morning person. If he has something to do, he will go in early.

Write down everything you think you need to do, then start taking a hard look at it. I'm sure you can take some things off your plate.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote