Help

BusyBoard

Tell me about 5th grade ELA

>

chalkdusty

Tell me about 5th grade ELA
Old 04-25-2019, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Possible grade change...Reading and Writing in a departmentalized setting. 5th grade. I'm giving it serious consideration. Do any of you have experience in this subject/grade level? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did it for a few years. LOVED being departmentalized--so much easier to focus on planning and fine tune your lessons. You really have to work out a good time-table for how you will get in each element of reading/writing. But once you get a basic outline of your schedule, you can adjust as needed. You also need a tight relationship with your coteacher(s) because even though your planning won't overlap much, being able to collaborate about the kids is essential. I had a wonderful team that made it possible. You also have to trust each other because, at least for us, despite being departmentalized, the math scores of my homeroom class were attributed to me and vice versa. If I didn't trust my coteacher to be doing her job well, I would have been frustrated with being responsible (on paper) for subjects I didn't teach. It worked out beautifully though.

What grade are you coming from? Do you enjoy working in intermediate? I moved up from 1st, and never looked back!
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 04-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I actually teach this age & subject and I really enjoy it.

I like that you can choose to read books with kids that deal with "real life" and the discussions surrounding all of the books are just so fun to listen to.

I've struggled with writing because our school as a whole does a terrible job teaching writing...but this would really depend on how well prepared your students might be.

With that said, I have 90 minutes for reading and an additional 45 minutes for writing every day. In order to do it justice, I don't really feel like I could cut that time down.

As far as departmentalization - My biggest piece of advice as you think about this is to think about how well you would communicate with your team members. In my opinion, departmentalizing doesn't really work if the teachers don't communicate with each other. You'll have to be communicating all the time about behavior and academic concerns as well as how/who communicates with parents.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Ela
Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach departmentalized ELA and US History. I utilize novels in my classes, which give a range of activities for the kids such as vocabulary, close reading, writing prompts, etc. We also work on fluency.

I work on the genres of writing, and they are much more receptive to the 5-paragraph essay. This is my 3rd year with the 5th graders, and I really enjoy it.
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for your responses. I'm coming from 20+ years in 4th. I'm looking forward to being departmentalized and being able to focus on just those standards.

Do you have any authors or books you would recommend for this age group? Do you have any blogs that you might recommend to help me get up to speed?

chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Resources
Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really like this blogger. She has great ideas & free resources. She also sells on TPT - Iíve bought a few of her things - itís good quality. More so, I really like her ideas. I teach 3rd so a lot of her stuff is too advanced for my class but her focus is 4th-5th.

https://jenniferfindley.com/
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote