Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Grandson being bitten at daycare

>

musiclover

Grandson being bitten at daycare
Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM

I am in a hurry to get this written. My youngest grandchild goes to a large daycare called Amazing Explorers. There are 320 children there, many come after school.

Daycare prides itself on STEM activities and enrichment. Grandson is 20-months-old. Parents have been told twice now that he is 'behind' their developmental targets. Both times it was trivial stuff. I have watched the child grow up, and he is not behind his peers.

Now he is being bitten over and over. One day he was bitten 4 times! Parents are being told, "If he expressed himself better, this wouldn't happen. He needs to talk in 2-word phrases." Not one child in his toddler room uses 2-word phrases. I have been in there.

Now, parents are considering having him tested, because daycare has convinced them that the biting is all DGS fault. And that he probably has a speech delay. Meanwhile, the biting continues.

Oh yes, and very high staff turnover rate. New teacher in his room since Monday.

musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 AM

Sounds to me like that day care center is horrible! The willingness to blame the victim's injuries on the victim is disturbing and speaks of staff who do not know what they are doing.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

absolutely not!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 AM

No way in all things that are holy is his speech "issues" his fault for being bitten. If I was that parent, I'd be withdrawing him from that daycare. They obviously don't know early childhood development.

My daughter was the biter...the victims were her siblings. Her sister spoke just fine at that age. My son wasn't as much a culprit because he was younger.

It's frustration with that child...

That is just scary that they are telling the parents that it wouldn't happen if he spoke better. RED FLAGS!!
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Biting at preschool
Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Tell them to run like the wind away from this place. Your post sent up a lot of red flags about this program.

4 times in one day means no one is paying attention. Once a child is bitten, the teachers should be watching with an eagle eye that it doesnít happen again.

High turnover, high enrollment and I bet they are out of ratio as well.

He has been on this planet for 20 months!!! He is not delayed...heís not quite two.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

bitten
Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 AM

What is their staff to child ratio? Are they maintaining that ALL day? What is the state law for staffing numbers?

How many are in his room? and what is the age span?

If the biting is continuing I'd be inclined to ask for a report of the following:

A detailed report of each incident? When was he bit-time of day, where on his body? what was the activity at the time of incident? did a staff member observe the biting incident? which staff? should be signed by lead staff at that time

My grandson was tall for his age so his day care expected more out of him. Poor little guy.

Has the skin been broken? Are the teeth marks the same pattern indicating it is the same kid?

Hello...lots of kids don't talk until age 2.

What does the their doctor say about his development?

Not sure babies and pre-school need STEM they need nurturing, and a chance to play in a secure loving environment. (((hugs))) from another grandma

Your post brought back precious memories of 'springing' my grandson from day care and keeping him until bedtime. Miss hiss fuzzy little head-he is 16 now.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM

I would take him out of there now! There is no excuse for him being bitten that many times and then blaming him for it. Seems to be a definite lack of supervision going on.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Although it's extremely difficult to totally prevent toddlers from biting, the staff has the responsibility for CLOSELY monitoring known biters and working to prevent this behavior. It is not the responsibility of a 20 month-old to tell the aggressor to stop it.

I would seriously question the credentials of child care administrators who are "blaming" a 20 month-old for not using 2 word phrases. By 18 months of age, most toddlers know and use many single words. 18-24 month old toddlers begin to use 2 word phrases. At 20 months, the ability to use 2 word phrases is just beginning--some can do it; others are not there yet. The child care staff does not appear to understand child development. They are likely too focused on STEM and enrichment. Whatever happened to feed yourself, learn to run and jump, listen to a short story?

That said, if there is any realistic concern about a possible speech delay, or even for the parents' peace of mind, it wouldn't hurt to have a screening done. Perhaps contact Early Interventions or Child Find or the local school district.

And I would definitely recommend looking for a more appropriate and better run child care center.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM

I call absolute BS!

His being bitten is not his fault!!!!!!!!

My child would be moved to a different daycare!!!!!

I'm so sorry you ate dealing with this!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Uh, even 20 month old kids who are on the high end of the expressive language spectrum aren't independently resolving conflict with their two word phrases....

Joey: Toy mine.
Susie: Is MINE!
Joey: WANT TOY!
Susie: Make compromise?
Joey: Mine next.
Susie: Good plan.
Joey: Thanks, Friend.
LastMinute123 is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Sorry, but why are his parents not pulling him out of there?

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Good grief!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:05 AM

My DGD has bitten and has been bit at the once-a-week daycare she attends. She came home with a report after both types of scenarios. Thankfully she never experienced four times in one day either as the biter or the bitten! And she seems to have learned that it is wrong. Unfortunately, it is something kids sometimes resort to. But there is no way the biting is your DGS's fault!

My DGD is 26 months and is speaking in 2-word phrases only recently. At 20 months kids should have about 25-40 words - that includes sign language and their uniquely spoken version of a word. They should be able to follow simple directions. I don't like the sound of the guilt the staff is laying on the parents when their child is being injured. A yelp of pain is expression enough at that age.

Staff turnover is often high at daycares - the pay is not great for the aides, so job-hopping is common.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 05-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Many years ago when my boys went to daycare they were required to send incident reports. My son was being bit by a boy. He was biting others as well. He eventually got kicked out of the daycare. That is the way it should be. Why should your gs have to leave? They need to address the problem. I am concerned that they are trying to do too much over too big of an age span. How many are in his class and how many workers? There should be at least 2 adults in every room. There was just a case on the news that showed a boys back with multiple wounds on it. It was horrible! Please have them act now.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Wow - this is a very bad situation. Your GS is a victim and should not be blamed for being bitten multiple times. For heaven sakes, he is only 2!!

The safety of all children there should be paramount. The biter should be dealt with and not the victims. Dont fall into this illogical trap by getting counseling blah, blah, blah. Shame on them for recommending this!

I would change day cares immediately. Leaving him there to receive more bites seems misguided and cruel. This day care is awful so go elsewhere.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

All sound advice
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM

I was a daycare director for 6 years before teaching first grade. If there is a high staff turn over rate thatís a red flag. If staff arenít treated well then kids suffer. It is NOT your GS fault he is being bitten. If thereís a biter in the room that kid needs to be watch more closely. A good caregiver should be able to redirect this kid before things escalate. That kids parents need to know what heís doing, too. Your DD needs to find an alternative place for him.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Get out asap!!!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM

This reminds me of:

"It's your fault I hit you-you made me mad."

"It's her fault she was raped, look what she wore."

"It's his fault OTHER kids are biting him?????"

This is beyond horrific. Get him the hell out and report this place to the state licensing board.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM

That makes absolutely no sense. If this was being caused by an inability to express himself, heíd be the perpetrator not the victim. A child that does not yet have the words to express themselves often expressed frustration through hitting, biting, tantrums, etc. They donít typically express frustration through being continuously injured by other children. Tell the parents whoever told them that is an absolute quack.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Maybe it's time for a new center, or a report to corporate if it is a franchise
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-18-2019, 06:06 PM

You are right to be concerned. There are so many red flags here.

First, biting at this age is common! Most little ones this age, even the few who might put two words together, would not be able to appropriately express themselves to prevent this from happening. All they can do is keep a close eye on the kids and try to prevent this themselves. Its going to happen, but it shouldn't be constant and has nothing to do with your DGS's development!

Second, at this age, only a pediatrician should be telling them if their son is behind in his development. Unless he was 20 months old and not walking or had NO words in his vocabulary, they do not need to be telling parents their children are behind. It does not sound like a program that is developmentally appropriate for young children!

And the turn over rate, we all know that is not healthy for young children.

I know excellent centers are hard to find, but I think I would be looking for something else.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Clarification
Old 05-19-2019, 03:30 AM

I wanted to be clear-

I was very strong in my previous post about getting out of that day care NOT because of the biting happening. That happens at that age.

The fact that the adults are BLAMING the victim is incredulous.

Last edited by dee; 05-19-2019 at 06:59 AM..
dee is offline   Reply With Quote