Summer Dilemma - ProTeacher Community




Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help


      The VENT

Summer Dilemma

>

Reply
 
Thread Tools
poppyrocky's Avatar
poppyrocky poppyrocky is offline
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 93
Full Member

poppyrocky
 
poppyrocky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 93
Full Member
Summer Dilemma
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #1

Don't know if this is a vent...but I need some advice...
This is my first year applying for summer school...I had a 20% chance of being hired...but I was hired.

I jumped at the opportunity.

Now, as I think about it---this may not be the best choice. I will be taking 3 doctoral classes on the weekends and during the week I will be teaching.

I first put in my application...then took it out because of the classes I would be taking in the summer...Then my P approached me on the day of interviews and asked me to reconsider applying for summer...I guess that inflated my ego...and I said yes to the interview...and the job.

Now that I have the job...how do I say no thanks?
Also, what do I tell other teachers when they ask me why I gave it up?
Is this a sign of weakness or just a sign of me knowing my limits and doing whats best for my students and I?


poppyrocky is offline   Reply With Quote

love'em love'em is offline
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 90
Full Member

love'em
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 90
Full Member
Professionally speaking
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would drop a class before I dropped summer school. Just career-wise.
love'em is offline   Reply With Quote
aeiouteach's Avatar
aeiouteach aeiouteach is offline
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,708
Senior Member

aeiouteach
 
aeiouteach's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,708
Senior Member

Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #3

How long does summer school last? All day? All summer? That would definitely be a deciding factor. I agree with love'em, but I also know spreading yourself too thin isn't good either. If you have a good working relationship with your p, go talk to him/her and explain your dilemna.
Please let us know how this works out for you.
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote
leofenderfan's Avatar
leofenderfan leofenderfan is offline
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Full Member

leofenderfan
 
leofenderfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Full Member

Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with love'em. The classes will still be there next summer. The career opportunities may not.
leofenderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
TexTeacher's Avatar
TexTeacher TexTeacher is offline
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,808
Senior Member

TexTeacher
 
TexTeacher's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,808
Senior Member
Summer School
Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #5

At this point, I think you have to take it. It would not reflect well on you after interviewing and getting the job, to then decline it.


TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
teenytiny's Avatar
teenytiny teenytiny is offline
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,216
Senior Member

teenytiny
 
teenytiny's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,216
Senior Member

Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #6

It would look bad and may cause a hassle to the hiring committee to back out after you accepted the job. They've already made their hiring decisions, and likely informed others that they did not get the job.

If you have tenure and aren't worried about your job security, you might be able to risk backing out. If not, I'd say you are taking a risk because accepting a job and then saying you don't want it is unprofessional.

I'd say to do summer school. If you feel you can't do that and the classes both, then drop the classes.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote
poppyrocky's Avatar
poppyrocky poppyrocky is offline
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 93
Full Member

poppyrocky
 
poppyrocky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 93
Full Member
Thank you...
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #7

for all of your responses...

I ultimately chose not to teach summer school. I am taking classes as part of a cohort...and we do not have the option to reduce the number of classes.

Did I make a poor call by interviewing...and then backing out?...yes...but in the long run...I think it's the best choice.

I can't do it all...

Oh well...we are all entitled to a few major mess ups in our careers aren't we...opportunities to learn from...so to speak...I will truly learn from this one.
poppyrocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Join the conversation! Post as a guest or become a member today. New members welcome!

Reply

 

>
The VENT
Thread Tools




Sign Up Now

Sign Up FREE | ProTeacher Help | BusyBoard

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Copyright © 2019 ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net