Help

Third Grade

Genre Study

>

lovesnewideas

Genre Study
Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Proteacher Friends! I am hoping that some of you have some ideas for a genre study unit!! I am teaching 3rd grade next year, and am So excited! One area that our students (as a k-5 building) are struggling with is identify the characteristics of different genres. With that said, I was asked to create a genre unit for 3rd grade and was hoping for some ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

lovesnewideas is offline   Reply With Quote

cafe11

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Beth Newingham inspired my genre study last year. I also was able to easily categorize my personal classroom library.

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bne...eb3/genres.htm

If you look around on her site, she also has printables for a Mystery Unit. I did it with my kids and they LOVED IT. I used Nate the Great books mostly because our school had a lot of them and they were quick reads.

ALL YEAR CLASSROOM DISPLAY IDEA - I cut poster boards into 3rds, laminated them, and hung them up on my cabinets. I labeled each one with a different genre and we added a book title to the corresponding chart when we finished a read-aloud. So if we read an Eve Bunting book together as a class, I would add the title of the book to the "Realistic Fiction" chart using dry-erase markers. This helped the kids keep track of they read to add to their book logs and also to help fill in the Monthly Genre Graph (also on Beth Newingham's site).

Good luck with your genre study! You will love it!!!
cafe11 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Genres at a Glance
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is an information sheet with a list of genres and their definitions. I would read a title for each genre and have students take a few notes. These would be picture books that fit the genres. That way you would explain a genre a day. Students could record the genre, title and a brief summary. Discuss the characteristics of each genre with them.

Then after the ten day introduction of genres, you would read a short excerpt from each of those titles (in a different order that originally read). Have students identify the book and genre. Then discuss each genre again.I would allow them to use their notes.

Then read a book or excerpt, that they have not heard before and ask them to identify the genre. You may need to cover the book cover, as it may give the answer away with the title.

Any time you read something for the rest of the year they need to identify the genre. This takes a great deal of practice. Then you will have fun discussions about books like Magic School Bus series. Is it fantasy? Or is it informational? Oh, its both! That makes a whole new genre. I would avoid these kinds of books for a while, until they have the regular genres straight in their minds.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Genre Definitions.doc (32.5 KB, 592 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

Genres
Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had a lot of success with teaching genres as they come up in other readings or units. I use graphic posters to teach what the genre means (I tried Beth Newingham's, but they were too small and we didn't have all the books she pictured on hers, so I made similar ones with the same text.) Every time we would read a book together, I would photocopy the cover, and we'd put it under the correct genre. Kids were allowed to add to the wall, too. It really cemented the idea of each genre in their mind. I struggled on how to incorporate all of those genres into one unit, so this ongoing approach was a little easier for me.
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

KcK

Same as pp
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do the same as the pp.

I have a blank construction paper laminated with the genre heading and definition at the top. As we read a book together I find the pic online and print it mini sized to add to the sheet. we talk about what genre it would be and why every time we read a book. As I confer I talk about it with studets as well.

We stock up 10 pictures or so and then I have my lower groups work to put them on the posters. It's good extra practice for them.

I think it needs to be ongoing throughout the year for kids to take ownership of it. I do an overview at the beginning of the year during out first twenty days.

KcK is offline   Reply With Quote

Gardenut

Genres
Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for sharing-I love that Genres at a glance!
Gardenut is offline   Reply With Quote

peace&joy

Genre Sort
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taught fifth last year and am moving to third for the upcoming school year. We did a "genre sort" last year... in fifth grade, we did a quick review of the genres - I have posters on the walls of my library to use for reference. I had pulled a pile of books from our library for each table, and together each group discussed which genre the book is and why, then placed the book into the appropriate genre basket. I would think for third, I'd do a genre at a time - teach what the genre includes, hints for figuring out that genre, and then having students sort through a pile of books to determine if they do or do not fit that genre. They could then do a full genre sort later on in the year when they are more comfortable with the material.
peace&joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mantyteach3

Genres~Constructing Knowledge
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year I asked my librarian to do a book collection for each genre (5-6 books each). I put them into buckets, and for about a week, my students explored (Read titles and back covers, looked at covers and pictures, read a chapter or few pages) the buckets with partners. They had to talk about and write about what these books had in common, why were they grouped together in a bucket? What might be a title or category for this group of books? We met and shared whole group about what we were discovering.
Then I shared the genre posters, and we looked at buckets and decided which poster it went with. The next day the students came in and the books were all dumped out of buckets and scattered on the carpet. Someone had been in our room and mixed up all our books! Pairs of students each took a stack, and they had to talk about which genre bucket each book went in and stick it to the book with a post it. We put the books into the genre buckets. Finally, pairs had to review a bucket and talk about if the books were put into the right genre bucket. If they noticed one was in the wrong bucket, they had to tell us why. Then we rechecked each book as a whole group. My students then had to write a letter to our school librarian about the mix up. They wrote about why the books they looked at belonged to the genre in that bucket. My students also had to set genre reading goals. Many were sticking to only a few genres for half the year and I wanted them to set goals for new genres they would try reading.
Mantyteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovesnewideas

Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love the genre sorting ideas! The Genre at a glance is really cool too! Thank you all so much for the ideas... if you have any more, I would LOVE to hear them!!!
lovesnewideas is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Genre Study
Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also did the Genre Sort activity with my 3rdies. It was a bit tough for them at the beginning of the year because books can fit into more than one category. Because of this many of them struggle with choosing books to read for their Genre Bingo cards.

This year I want to do one genre at a time so I ordered the Evan Moor book called Literature Pockets (Fiction) They also have a nonfiction one but I am still deciding on it because it delves more into the Dewy Decimal System and our librarian teaches that. My classroom library is set up by genres but only the baskets are labeled. Someone on the boards suggested grouping the genres by color so the kids can at least quickly determine fiction from nonfiction, etc. I am still mulling over all the work that would take. I really like the idea of listing/adding books we've read to a chart or poster as it is completed.

http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Poc.../dp/1557998221

BTW, I am not making all those pockets for each student, just using the book as a teaching resource and will figure out how to present it to the kids to go into their lang. arts binder.

NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Response Forms
Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had these posted on a thread a while back. One of the forms includes a place to identify the genre of the book and explain why. Perhaps you'll find it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reading Response Task Sheets.doc (70.5 KB, 489 views)
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Thank You for sharing NeeCee
Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Love the response form.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Reading response forms
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow, NeeCee, the response forms look great! All the activities are appropriate and I like that the forms give the kids choices but not unlimited choices. A couple of questions - How often do you use them? Daily? In your experience, how long does it take 3rd graders to fill them out? TIA
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

brochure
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I like to have the students work in small groups and make a brochure for each genre near the end of year (before testing). They have to locate examples of each in their reading book or classroom library. Then we have a museum walk and read each brochure. It took a lot of time, but they enjoyed it and seem to remember the facts.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tching1

Awesome book
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Last year I had a very successful genre unit by using a book called "Joe Bright and the Seven Genre Dudes". It is written as a child's picture book but uses interesting characters to describe each genre. The kids loved it and there is an activity guide included with great printables and things. I had my kids make a book with each charachter and the points of each genre. I also made a powerpoint but can not find it right now. I will look it up and post it when I can. I would definatley recommend the book.
Tching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

Tching1
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This activity sounds really interesting and one my fourth graders may love. I hope you find the powerpoint.
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tching1

Here's the powerpoint
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I finally found it. It may need some tweaking, but feel free to use. It is saying that it is too large to upload, so PM me your email address and I will try to send it that way.
Tching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jojeff

Genre Powerpoint
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi-
I was wondering if you could send me the powerpoint on genres? Thanks in advance!
jojeff is offline   Reply With Quote

browneyedlady

Genre and their definitions
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I would love your attachment, but was unable to open it. Can you help? Thank you.
browneyedlady is offline   Reply With Quote

dstgirl9of9

Response forms - THANKS
Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I can't wait to use them!!!
dstgirl9of9 is offline   Reply With Quote

dstgirl9of9

Brochure idea is GREAT!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thanks for sharing your brochure ideal!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!
dstgirl9of9 is offline   Reply With Quote

CJS87

NEECEE- reading response
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I like your responses. Do you have anything for teaching genres?

Thanks
CJS87 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

One thing I did this year with my fourth graders, was a walk about with various genres. The students had to identify genre strictly based on the authors words -- there were no covers, picture, etc for them to refer back to. It was incredibly eye opening!

I never realized before then how much my students used all their clues from books to identify genres, but when they just had to use the words of the author, it was more of a challenge.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote