Help

Third Grade

Help NO CURRICULUM

>

kimballantyne

Help NO CURRICULUM
Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone...First year teacher this year and I will be teaching 3rd grade in a charter school (CA). We will be doing the Daily 5 which I'm getting familiar with by reading books etc. Just found out today there is no available curriculum for Science or Social Studies. Im use to public school so this is a little overwhelming. Also, there is no real language arts program...just Daily 5. The school will be following the Common Core Standards. Any advice and help? Feeling very overwhelmed. Im not a read from the teacher's manual type of teacher, but its not to have a framework to build from and I dont have one now. For Math we are using EnVision which Im familiar with from Public School. Thanks all. Appreciate it.

Kim

kimballantyne is offline   Reply With Quote

MsIssippi

take a deep breath! :)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know it seems crazy, but I wouldn't stress the lack of a program. With everything switching to CC, it's all getting out-of-date anyway. Do you have a pacing guide? That's key. Once you have the order of what you are going to teach, you can get yourself organized and help your brain calm down!

Email me (khamilton (at) mcschools (dot) org) or pm me and I will be happy to share some things that may be helpful!
MsIssippi is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyG

book
Old 07-27-2012, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Kim... For a little over $18.00, you can purchase at Amazon the Common Core State Standards Curriculum Map for ELA. It has ELA units for the entire year, lesson plans, book lists, etc. Most of the literature/ informational texts needed are books that have been around a while. I googled the poems that they require and copied them onto word documents. Honestly, it was the best $18.00 I have spent in a long time....especially since I teach Grades 2,3 & 4 ELA.
Good luck!
LindyG is offline   Reply With Quote

m.frances

Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

my school also doesn't have a curriculum for third grade science/social studies. It really varies by grade-level, but many teachers are left to create their own lessons based off of the strands in the standards (now Common Core). It's lovely to get to be creative and have freedom, but for me it was incredibly time consuming. I'm in my third year and some units have gotten easier but I am still not happy with a few. I would start by listing all of the strands from Common Core or the Frameworks, then designing lessons which will teach those strands. My units usually have some type of project that students work on in groups for the culmination of the unit. If you respond with what units you need to teach, I could try to help you with projects or other ideas. Good luck, hopefully it will not be too time consuming for you!

Last edited by m.frances; 07-27-2012 at 07:22 AM..
m.frances is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can get the original (2010) Common Core Standards Curriculum Maps for all grades, free at the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/201010290...rades/grade_3/

Are these too out of date? I have attached Unit 1 for Grade 3:

Attached Files
File Type: doc Unit 1 Grade 3.doc (49.0 KB, 57 views)
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

kimballantyne

More Questions....
Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ok you all are great help. Common Core is sooooo new to me! All my studies and previous work had to do with CA Content Standards. So I looked at the Curriculum Maps online and for all of the suggested stories/text do we need to purchase those, do the schools typically provide, or where can I find them?

Do they have the same thing for Science or Social Studies. I cant find common core standards for Science or Social Studies. For Math I feel ok since the school uses EnVision Math and I have used that before.

Really appreciate all of your guidance. They said your first year of teaching was crazy...well I really do believe them now .

Kim
kimballantyne is offline   Reply With Quote

dstgirl9of9

Kimballantyne, I feel exactly the same way
Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi Kim,

I'm a 3rd grade teacher, and although I've been teaching for some years this is my 1st year in a Charter School. I never knew how easy I had it in Public Schools until I was told I had to create Unit Plans for ELA and Social Studies. :-) Thankfully, I team teach so I only have to create for the two subjects. I found this school district that has created unit plans for LAL and Math, here's the link - http://www.asburypark.k12.nj.us/1857...BCOB=0&C=55730 . I'm still looking for a site that has Social Studies Unit Plans. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, and write my own Unit Plans (work smarter - not harder :-)). So as soon as I find something on Social Studies, I'll share. I hope you do the same. :-)
dstgirl9of9 is offline   Reply With Quote