Help

BusyBoard

Discrepancy Between Class Lists?

>

mila15

Discrepancy Between Class Lists?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I received my class list and it contains six students with "poor behavior". The other teachers on my grade level only have one or two students listed as having poor behavior.

I'm feeling extremely disheartened and I don't even know where to start. I use the clip chart in my room and I try very hard to be consistent... but will that be enough?

I suppose I'm writing this post to look for advice. I feel as though I have a pit in my stomach right now. I don't want to be negative, as I haven't even met the children yet. Any help?

mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

What information do you have?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in the same boat 2 years in a row in terms of lack of balance of behavioral problems and academic (I always get the low ones!).

It's hard to give specific advice when I don't what behavior problems you will be dealing with. If you know any more specifics, that might help.

Also, try to give all of your kids a fresh start. Just because their behavior was poor for another teacher doesn't mean it will be poor for you! I'm sure you know that. I'm also sure you already know that forming close, positive relationships with all of your students can do a lot to eliminate behavior problems.

You can do it! I'm willing to help if you need anything!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Toss it!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My advice is to IGNORE the list.

You're basing you opinion of kids you haven't met yet on someone else's judgement; and who knows when that list was created?

Just because a child has poor behavior for one teacher, doesn't mean that they will for you. Maybe it was a clash of teaching styles/personality conflict/parent issue/inconsistent expectations/etc...

Some of my very favorite kids ever have been kids listed as "discipline issues." It sounds like you have a good discipline system that works for you; throw the list away, start fresh on day one with the same expectations for everyone, and you'll do great.
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Guest

Guest Guest

My situation...
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my fourth year...and I get lots of behaviors and many of the lower kids. Last year of the bottom 25 in a class of 50...I had 15 of them in my room! However, many made a lot of progress. As far as the behaviors, I set high standards and was consistent. It wasn't my favorite year to teach, but I did learn alot from that particular group...a little love and firmness go a long way. Hope all goes well.

lte's mom

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Two things.....
1. Just because a child has "poor behavior" with one teacher doesn't mean he will have poor behavior with you.
2. You could look at it as they have more faith in your ability to handle difficult students.

lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

mila15

Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really want to thank each of you for your replies. I've read them several times and I'm trying to take your advice to heart.
mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote

ILove2teach

Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I promise that I am in the same boat this year... two weeks in and it hasn't been as bad as I thought. I am having to be very firm and set my expectations many times throughout the day, but it is starting to work.

Many of them have rough home lives and no consistency... I just keep telling myself that

Having lunch with them sometimes also helps. Gives them that extra attention they may not be getting at home.
ILove2teach is offline   Reply With Quote