Help

Special Education

Small group behavior/hallway

>

Haley23

Small group behavior/hallway
Old 03-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This seems so silly but I am SO fed up with my kids in the hallway. I am not a crier at all and I was literally almost in tears after one of my groups today. People think small groups are so easy but I find that it can sometimes be harder because there are no role models and/or the negative role models outnumber the positive ones vs. a classroom where most students are doing the right thing. I am embarrassed that I simply cannot get my students to walk in the hallway. I am an extremely structured teacher and most students with behavior problems do at least an okay job once I can get them in my room, but they are always horrible in the hallway.

So here's what happened today with my 2nd graders. I am trying to walk them down to my room and they are yelling, jumping, spinning around, touching walls, laughing uncontrollably, etc. I stop about 3 feet from their room and tell them we will wait until they are quiet. After several minutes of waiting (not an exaggeration), we take a few more steps and I have to stop again due to the two in the back hitting each other. I rearrange the kids spots, but this doesn't help because literally the entire group shouldn't be near each other and there are no "easy/good" kids to separate them with. I keep sending them back and having them practice multiple times. I know that's what you're supposed to do, but I feel like this is not really an incentive to improve at all, especially with kids that really struggle with academics. They'd rather be doing anything than reading, especially since reading is so hard for them, so of course getting to spend the entire reading group walking in the hallway is preferable to them. After about 15 minutes we finally made it down to my room, and it's the same thing on the way back. Again, I tried making them go back and practice, reviewing expectations, etc. My groups are back to back so I can't just stay out there with them forever. Finally, three of them were standing quietly so I told them they could go ahead and walk the rest of the way while I watched, and I would wait for the other 2. I simply could not get the final 2 to listen to a word I said. They continued to laugh and jump around the entire time. I finally told them that since now was apparently not a good time for practicing, we'd be practicing tomorrow at recess. The only reason I can do this tomorrow is because my groups are cancelled due to a special event- normally I'd be teaching another grade level at their recess time, so I can't make this a regular thing. I'm also afraid they're going to enjoy staying in with me because they both LOVE attention. I did call parents for documentation purposes, but neither are supportive, and I know it does sound ridiculous that I can't get their kids to simply walk!

Any suggestions? I was thinking about doing a preferred activity/free time thing where students could start with 5 minutes that they would lose from every time we had to stop in the hallway. However, I already only have 30 minutes (really about 25 when you factor in normal travel time) and I already do a little game at the end of each lesson as part of my instructional behavior system. I'm afraid I'm going to end up spending half of our time on rewards and not enough time on actual teaching! The other thing is that this group simply cannot handle "fun" activities. They are okay if we do extremely structured academic activities but go immediately off the rails the minute I start to do something different. Today they had earned some games for using their reading strategies so many times, and I think that's why they were especially bad today (although it is a problem to some extent every day, just not this big of one).

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

You're doing all the right things. More Ideas
Old 03-03-2016, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One way to look at this is as a reward versus a punishment. Reward the students who are following expectations. It maybe stickers, verbal praise (I notice that J is walking in the hall on the blue line, eyes forward, mouth closed. Thank you, J.), leaving 2 minutes early, anything that they consider high value. If your reward is not motivating to them, it won't be successful in motivating them.

Also, I would take the next class period to review expectations for classroom and hallway behavior. I would have them brainstorm what it needs to look like and sound like. I would write it on a chart and have us (including you) sign it and agree to follow the expectations. Then we would actually practice what it looks like and sounds like as you incorporate the verbal praise/rewards. Also, we would brainstorm suitable consequences for when they don't follow expectations that they just said were important and agreed to follow when they signed.

One consequence that might work would be taking part/all of their recess to practice what it looks like/sounds like when they don't follow the expectations. You could also take lunch or enrichment/specials depending on your schedule.

Each time you pick them up, before the line starts moving anywhere remind them of the expectations they agreed to as well as the consequences for not following them.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

You are doing it right
Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with all you have done and what pp suggested.

Could your behavior plan be linked to the hallway?

For example, when I did resource I used class DoJo. I got permission to take my phone with me to pick up and drop off students and would give points as we were walking in the halls.

Some teachers where I currently work have a portable clip chart that they take in the halls and hand off to specials teachers.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the suggestions. I pulled them during recess today and we made the looks like/sounds like chart like expert suggested. We do use that language at my school so it was familiar to them. I told them that we would need to practice as many times as it took before they were showing me what we agreed on and then they could go outside. They did seem very bummed to be missing recess which I was glad to see. I was worried they'd rather than the attention than go out. One of the students participated beautifully in making the chart and the other sat there and pouted. That one does have more significant emotional/behavior issues that no one can quite figure out (it's way more "odd" behavior than our other significant behavior kids have). She did sign the chart and walk with us so I let her go. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but with this particular student I wasn't going to see what happened if I forced her into talking. I honestly don't think anyone in a school setting is equipped to deal with the mental health issues that she has. We'll see if it makes any difference in the long run. Unfortunately, I will not see this group again for about week. I see them twice a day Tuesday-Friday normally, but I have data team meetings and an extra day of staffing meetings (had so many we had to create an extra meeting day) next week so I won't be able to teach again until Friday. I plan on bringing the chart with me when I pick them up on that day and reviewing it. If it seems necessary I will think about starting a point system too.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-05-2016, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think what you've done so far was good. A lot of times, kids think walking to group is more like walking to the bathroom alone than walking in line with their class. So going over the expectations was a great idea. (Since you aren't seeing them for a while, you might even bring the contract with you as a visual reminder the next time you pick them up.)

My next step would be a "mystery walker". Each time you start out in the hall, you pick a random student (you know who that is, but they don't). If the student behaves properly, you reveal who it was, and they get a prize (or point towards a prize). If the student does not behave properly, you just say the mystery walker didn't win today, but don't reveal who it was.

Last resort - get the principal involved for a couple of days to walk the worst behaved student(s) separately from everyone else - pick them up individually after you pick up the others, and drop them off to you in your room, then come back and get them before the others. (The fact that the game is still going on then likely won't hurt, either.) - Make sure he or she knows not to use it as a time to "connect" with the student(s) though, or it will be an incentive, not a deterrent!

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote