Help

Special Education

Staying focused

>

ST13

Staying focused
Old 03-05-2016, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is diagnosed with ADHD... She is a great student and loves to learn but has the hardest time staying focused. She will just sit and daydream during a lesson no matter which way she is facing or how close she is to the teacher etc. I am trying to come up with a strategy that helps her stay focused without me prompting her numerous times a day. We have tried earning points everytime I catch her paying attention but it's not as effective as I thought it would be. I know she WANTS to pay attention and I know she isn't doing it when she is bored or confused etc because it happens during every setting.

Does anyone have any strategies??

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since she seems like she would do her best, I'd suggest a self-monitoring protocol. SHe could have a timer on her person that goes off every so often (setting it for just slightly longer than she can usually maintain attention is a good place to start). WHen it goes off, she can check off on a sheet whether she was attending or not. That will give a baseline. The timer going off reminds her to cue back into instruction/independent work. It can be set for longer as she manages longer on task.

Here's one example of the type of thing I'm thinking of, but any timer would do. A vibrating or visual timer is the best bet because she'll probably be the only one who will hear/see it, depending on where it is and how bright the light or loud the vibrate is.

Kudos to her for wanting to pay attention and do well
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi!
I was going to suggest the same thing that I learned in one of my ABA classes. I think self monitoring would be the best way since she actually WANTS to pay attention. Just make sure she makes goals and gets rewarded. Increase the time as well.
Good luck!
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks!! I'll try a self monitoring tool!
ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote