Help

Special Education

Reg ed kids out of control

>

readandweep

Reg ed kids out of control
Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Stealing, hitting, biting, leaving room during instruction and flat defiance...

No, not the special ed kids. This is regular ed, all grade levels. Stuff is really starting to hit the fan with our ap's policy of a hug, piece of candy and no consequences.

I have been told this policy is what the super wants. My aides are in tears over the constant disrespect from the other students and no support from administration. I want to be able to walk the halls without being run into.

My students do not want to stay in regular ed. I do not blame them.

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's the same at my school. We give no consequences. Our new thing is "plan b conversations." Essentially, the teacher is supposed to have a 20-30 minute 1:1 conversation with the misbehaving child where the child will magically come up with their own plan to fix the behavior. Of course, the behavior is never the child's fault and as such no consequence should be applied. Consequences don't work, they say. Out of the 8 groups I see per day I have two groups left that have no significant behavior issues in them. One of my groups has 5 of the 6 students with extremely significant issues. It's exhausting. Funny you mentioned the hallway; I was just telling our SLP that I dread even walking to the copier because I'm afraid of what I'm going to witness in the hallway and the ridiculous amount of disrespect/defiance I will face if I try to fix it. I don't think we have any gen ed classrooms left that have no significant behavior issues in them. Our ELL teacher was sent to sub in a 5th grade classroom and said she actually considered just walking out the door and quitting after 10 minutes. Within the 10 minutes, she was threatened multiple times including a child picking up scissors and chasing her around the room with them. I guess he didn't feel like doing his "plan b" . 39 days left this year and I will be counting every one of them!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is one of the main reasons I'm moving to sped next year!
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote