Help

Special Education

Thinking of moving to SPED

>

spenskel

Thinking of moving to SPED
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone moved from the general ed classroom to SPED? If so, do you regret it? I have about 6 years left before I retire. I am thinking of moving to SPED for something different. I taught 1st grade for 5 years and have spent the last 12 in 4th grade. I really enjoy working with small groups. Our district does push-in for K-2nd. I know there is a LOT of paperwork, but I have alot in the classroom too. Any thoughts, advice, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

spenskel is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did reg ed for 2 years, and have been in special ed for 4 years. I also did a lot of subbing in both. I went into spec ed because I couldn't get a job in reg ed in my state.

I think it depends on how supportive your P and school is of spec ed teachers. I enjoy me students and the paperwork isn't a deal breaker for me. I like working with a small group of students that I get to know better. The problem for me is that I get little support from admin on stuff. I don't have enough help, and the P doesn't care. I'm expected to just deal with difficult students on my own because the P doesn't do anything to punish them. If I had more support and help I would enjoy my job much more.
WIBadgerFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 04-18-2016, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For me personally, it wouldn't be worth such a huge change for such a small number of years. The paperwork (at least in my state) is astronomical. IEPs, ETRs, invitations to meetings, documentation of communication, data collection on IEP goals, progress reports, amendments as they reach their goals, it goes on and on. Again, this is just me personally. I would look for a title position where you have smaller groups, but not the legal paperwork.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught reg ed and moved to sped this year...I have decided to stay in sped...I like working in the small groups or 1:1 and I feel like I make a difference. Yes...the paper work is very hard but no classroom management....I don't have groups (except for teaching social skills-12 kids in that group) and I do have a para which can also be extra work but I like mine and she is a hard worker. Overall....sped suits me...It is true that administration can just leave you responsible for some behaviors but I worked my way through those situations okay
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I like it. It suits me.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is a lot of paperwork but, as a PP said, there is a lot in Gen Ed now too.

I find it very rewarding. The paperwork is manageable. There are programs now that have most of the big things on templates where you can point, click and fill in as required. Our program also generates a big calendar with important timelines and related activities already tracked.

Every day there are more and more apps to track data and assessments.

I made up my mind this year to spend less out of pocket and do less work after school hours. So far, I've been fairly successful. My classroom doesn't always flow perfectly but it is worth a small hitch now and again now to work til bedtime every day.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-18-2016, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've done both and prefer gen ed. I would go back if I could, but once you're known as a good sped teacher, it's extremely hard to get out of that role. I had to go back to sped to get out of a bad school. Like a pp said, if you're looking for something different I would go for something like a title 1/interventionist position.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 04-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am making the move next year. Gen ed to resource. Hoping it's the right move for me.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

chele2

change to sped
Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

unless you love doing paperwork for every breath taken by you and a sped student, I recommend not changing. There are two sped teachers who are going back to gen ed teaching after 5 years or less because of the papaer work. The kids are awesome, the legal stuff and paper work/documentation is a burnout!
chele2 is offline   Reply With Quote

muggleish

Old 05-18-2016, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Never have taught gen ed, but I will say that I love teaching my self contained life skills class. You adjust to the paperwork and the kids are for the most part awsome in self-contained. I teach students with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities.

Last edited by muggleish; 05-19-2016 at 04:47 AM..
muggleish is offline   Reply With Quote

suz3

do it!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

this is my 25th year of teaching and my first in SPED. I love it! I feel like I really make a difference with these kids. I know them and am able to meet their needs. My last year in regular ed I was trying to work with 42 kids and I just couldn't get to know them all as well. Go for it!!

suz3 is offline   Reply With Quote