Help

Special Education

Teaching resource next year

>

catandturtle

Teaching resource next year
Old 05-01-2016, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently found out that I will be moving to resource next year. I am really excited. This will be my third year teaching and first year in sped. I taught second grade self contained and fifth grade science previously.

My school is ec-5 and I believe my caseload will be between 10-15 kids but there will be two other resource teachers and two aides. The aides provide in class support while we primarily pull out. I know for sure I will be pulling for reading and writing and I may possibly help with math as well (depends on our caseload, we have high mobility and some kids will move and we will get new ones).

My question is-what should I do to prepare this summer? I know organization is a must and I need to work on that. I have seen binder systems for sale on tpt. Any recommendations? I'm planning on attending scheduling and iep training this summer.

Any other suggestions?

catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The most helpful thing is going to be talking to the current resource teachers at your school. SPED varies wildly from school to school, so it's best that you talk to people in your building about what would be most helpful. I would ask them about:
-Scheduling (do you create your own schedule, or does admin set parameters, etc.)
-Paperwork/organization/setting up meetings
-Curriculum (do you have any intervention programs you'll be expected to use, are you expected to build on what's happening in the classroom, or make your own materials based on skill deficits that you see?)
- Behavior systems/what works in a pull out setting within your school's parameters
-Collaborating with classroom teachers (how much are you expected to be in alignment with what is going on in the classroom, how often should you meet with teachers, etc. )
-Managing paras (how much direction do they need, anything you need to know about working with the specific paras in your building) I'm lucky to have a fantastic para but this is a really difficult aspect of the job for many people!

As far as organization, I have a binder for each student. In the front I have a sticker chart with the student's IEP goals on it. For example, if one goal is to read 90 wpm, I'll write the goal and then have slots for 50, 55, etc. all the way up to 90. When they reach each increment, they add a sticker. My next tab is a paper copy of their IEP (we have an electronic system, but it goes down a lot and I've found having paper copies to be helpful). After that, I have sections for each subject they have IEP goals in with probes for progress monitoring so I can quickly just pull whatever I need out of their binder. Each section has a cover sheet with a simple t chart where I write the date and the score they got on progress monitoring for that goal each week. In the back I have sections for notes, data, work samples, and parent contacts. This system has worked well for me, but you should check with your resource teachers because your school might have different documentation requirements. My first year I tried to have one "data binder" for my entire caseload and it was a disaster (my caseload is significantly bigger than yours though). Having individual binders has kept me much more organized.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your reply. I actually talk with the other resource teacher often. We share the sped students this year and we are friends. I know we create our own schedule. I'm not sure what materials they have for us to use. I like the idea of having a binder for each kid.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote