Help

The Job Search

finally got a job offer and still worried

>

needsadvice

finally got a job offer and still worried
Old 09-15-2016, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, after 25+ interviews I got a job offer. They say the job is contingent on satisfactory references. Well, the last job I had with a school district of 15 years, my principal bullied me to resign. He also put me on PAR for stupid incidental things. I couldn't get off this year and that is why I resigned. I briefly explained in the interview that I resigned and they still want to call the principal. I asked them to call the superintendent of personnel, who says he will handle it for me. I truly believe this and my age (58) is why I haven't gotten a job by now. I am a qualified special ed. teacher with all the experience and credentials. I am at my wit's end. We are seriously thinking of selling our home and moving to another state. I live in Southern California, Orange County where it is so expensive to live. Does anyone have any experience with this? This has been a nightmare for my family. I feel like I am getting blacklisted and they are preventing me from working again. My self-esteem is in the toilet. I can't even explain why this happened to me. I didn't do anything so severe in teaching that I deserve this.

needsadvice is offline   Reply With Quote

Done!

Done!

Long time poster signed out for this
Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Unfortunately, I also have experience with this. Without going into too much detail I have been let go from three districts in the past 4 years. I am a 52 year old veteran teacher who taught for several years, lost my tenure when I stayed home to raise my family, and returned to the work force after getting a master degree at 47. I have 14 years experience with all the bells and whistles. I have always received great evaluations and I have gone above and beyond in every position I’ve held. Now I am unemployed and have completely lost my passion for teaching due to the mistreatment by admin. I have made the decision for myself that I don’t deserve to be treated like this and that there must be something better out there for me (NOT in education!)
It has been tough moving past the “why me” and “what did I do wrong?” phases. My self-esteem definitely took a big hit, but I’m moving on and not letting the crazy powers-that-be dictate who I am and what I can and can’t do. I will guarantee that what happened to you was 100% about them and not at all about you! You are just a victim of poor management.
I hope you can find some comfort in one of my favorite quotes by A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh) “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
― A.A. Milne

puakai

Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too am in the same position. 55 year old, taught for the past 15 years and can't find a job. I am totally willing to leave teaching but can't even get an interview outside of teaching. WHat am I supposed to do? I wake up and spend all day on the internet applying for jobs. Never get a call. How else can I find a job?????
puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so sorry any of you are dealing with this! Here in NC special ed jobs are abundant, so if you want to come east (if you decide to leave CA) let me know!

Our pay is much lower, but our housing is much lower too.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 09-19-2016, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Same issues but 36 w/10 years experience...I'm going to reshuffle my references, 2 were being unfavorable.....

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote