Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Wisdom panel-inspired by 23 and me post

>

tester10

Wisdom panel-inspired by 23 and me post
Old 03-04-2017, 05:20 PM

I have not done the 23 and me test, but I did have my dog do the wisdom panel.

It was $75 and very interesting! The rescue said she was basset/German Shepard. It turns out she was 50% basset, 25% lab and 25% unknown (with German shepard being low on the possibilities). It also said what she looked like and a couple of genetic diseases she didn't have.

I would highly recommend wisdom panels as it was fun for us to know our dog's "flavor".

I wonder if it would not be the same to do a similar analysis for ourselves. I hope more people post on that thread to see if it's worth it (I didn't want to hijack it). $200 seems so much steeper than $75 (also we had a relative give us money to specifically spend on our dog. We realize this was an extravagance).

tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 03-04-2017, 05:33 PM

I think it would be so interesting to do it on pet where you knew they were a mix but didn't know exactly what the mix was.
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 03-04-2017, 06:25 PM

I read about this test on PT right before christmas. So this was the surprise gift I got for the family and they were thrilled. Our dog is pretty weird looking and we waited excitedly for the results. When we got her she was listed as a "terrier mix".
The test has her as 25% miniature schnauzer, 25% lab, 25% terrier that couldn't be determined, 12% pit and 12% rottweiler. I thought the text was fairly extensive and found the info on the genetic diseases interesting.
Thanks to whoever initially posted about it.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

Wisdom panel
Old 03-05-2017, 02:44 PM

I did it on my dog because we adopted her from the shelter and were always curious. I wonder about the validity of the results though.

It said my dog was Lhasa apso and cattle dog. She does herd like a cattle dog, and her hair grows similar to a Lhasa apso, but she is large at 45 lbs to be mixed with such a small dog. I can't remember exactly what the percentages were, but it said she was over half Lhasa apso.

This is a collage I made when I got the test done.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 PM

I don't know if the DNA test kit we used for our dog was the same as yours--?

Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 2.5 Breed Identification DNA Test Kit

It was a lot of fun getting the Ancestry Report that "certified" her as 100% mutt

BUT, the best part was getting an email from the company offering us a refund BECAUSE of the fact that she was a mutt! I did not know that they guaranteed a breed identification until I had received the email from them. NICE!

We did find out, though, that there was a chow and a lab somewhere in the great-great grandparents mutt generation. So, now we know why her tail curls up

LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote