Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

One or two dogs?

>

tester10

One or two dogs?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:20 PM

I have had one dog for 18 months who is the bestest (although I understand the saying "everyone thinks their dog is the best and everyone is right"). She (a basset/lab mix who is 6-8 years old) is my first dog ever and I'm afraid I'll be devastated when she goes (even though she promised she'll live forever).

So dog experts would you adopt another now or not(if it matters we own our home, fenced big back yard, plenty of time for walks/parks, no kids now but possible soon)? Thanks!

tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM

Based on the circumstances you shared it sounds like a second dog might really be a good option for you! So...I vote yes!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

I wouldn't
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM

But then, I am a confirmed one dog at a time person. Vet bills can be expensive, and so can having a child so I would err on the side of caution. If you decide to have a baby, much more of your time and energy will be needed as a new mother. And not all dogs want canine company or competition for your attention. My current dog came to me at nine months of age because after two other placements, her breeder determined that she needed to be the only dog.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 06-15-2017, 05:34 PM

I think if you wish to adopt a second dog, let your dog and the prospective adoptee get to know watch other outside of your home, where both are on grounds that they normally do not "own". Make sure they are a good match for each other, and that neither has food or toy aggression. I know lots of people who have multiple dogs and are one big happy family. We had a little dog, got a new puppy and didn't okay it with our little dog first. He hated her from day one. We thought she would grow on him, but she took over. By the time she was a year old, well after we bonded with her, she started to attack him. It took a few attacks before we realized it was toy and food aggression. The attacks we're serious. We researched and tried to train it out of her. Eventually for the little dog's safety, we kept the dogs separated. When she was out of the crate, we kept him in another part of the house with a baby gate. When he came out, she went into her crate. It was a cruel compromise, though they adjusted-- usually an hour to two hour alternating which dog was out with us. She had to be crated when we left to keep him safe. Sometimes he squeezed through the gate or he accidentally got left on the wrong side of the gate, resulting in him getting attacked or threatened. This could have been prevented. Both dogs deserved better. We didn't give the other dog away because we were afraid she would not be adopted or she would later be put down for her aggression. So yes, introduce the dogs many times before adoption, and involve a dog expert if possible.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM

I've loved having 2 dogs. They are, by nature, pack animals, and enjoy having another dog to keep them company when you're gone.

The vet bills are a concern and I'm not going to lie, I've been hit by a few so make sure you're prepared for it.

But in terms of the day to day stuff it's really no different adding a second.

I would bring the dog with you when you go to make sure they get along. If you have an alpha dog, make sure your 2nd is more laid back. If your dog is more laid back then it probably won't matter if your 2nd is alpha or not.

As someone who who works with my adoption groups on adoptions and I have 2, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if you want to PM me.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Bassetts
Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 PM

I have owned 2 bassets and been the "big sister" to my mom's bassett. At this point with possibly a real children, I'd say stc to one dog. Vet bils, food bills, trying to walk 2 dos an a stroller coulde be a big chalnege!!! Does your does your dog stay home now while you teach? Two dogs could be on the wilder wider side and need care. along with child care.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 PM

Our beloved Princess is 10 and I hope to have her for another 4-5 years. I have thought about getting a puppy but decided not to. My princess should not need to deal with puppy antics in the waning years of her life. She has been a fathful and loving companion and she deserves all of my attention and love when she needs it the most. I will think about a puppy when the time comes which wont be before she passes over the rainbow bridge.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 06-16-2017, 04:26 AM

I've always been a two dog person and now I have jus one. I would love a second but dh says no. Vet bills are higher with two, walking is more of a challenge. I was always fine with walking both together but it wasn't relaxing for dh.

Sometimes there is an adjustment period when another dog comes into the home but it usually settles down. Like a pp said, they are pack animals and usually are happy with other dogs around.

Most of the time I would say to get another dog but I wonder if you should hold off on getting another. If you are hoping to have kids soon you will want your focus and attention on the baby. Diapers, baby food, clothing, and everything else that comes with it will be very expensive.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 AM

I prefer to have one dog at a time personally.

My SO's sister and her husband have this elderly dog who they're pretty sure won't live much longer, so what do they do? They jumped up and got a puppy. My SO and I are like what the...?! Dogs are living creatures that have feelings too. His sis and her hubby couldn't even enjoy and spend the last good, quality time with the elderly dog who's going to be gone soon enough. No, they already tossed him aside and got something "newer and better"... or in this case, younger.

If a couple had a child who's terminally ill and won't have much longer to live, are they going to adopt or try to have a new baby while the other's still ill? It's going to make that child feel like yesterday's garbage. Some people may say this is a little bit different than some dogs, but they're all living beings with feelings.

I'd just personally want to spend quality good time with my one dog first if it's already up there in age, have fun times and good memories before getting another. It's another different story if a person wants to get 2 dogs right off the bat while they're both close in age, so they can spend their lives together.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Two different perspectives
Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 AM

I have two dogs. It is no more trouble taking care of two dogs than it is for one. It's nice because they keep each other company when I am gone. They are allowed on the furniture, so they cuddle up together with their dog beds side by side. It works for us.

On the other hand, if I was contemplating having a baby, I might wait. If you have an alpha dog, it might be harder to introduce a baby into the household when the dog's place is already established. Not always, but it has happened.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote