Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tips for traveling by yourself

>

PEPteach

Tips for traveling by yourself
Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 PM

I'm going on a short trip (2 nights) by myself. I am very nervous and have never even gone for 1 night by myself anywhere. I told myself this would be a good thing. Now I'm not so sure!

What are your best tips? I'm most worried about:
-getting lonely
-eating in a restaurant by myself
-staying safe (I know how to stay safe, but of course it's just in the back of my mind)

Also, I'm staying in a bed and breakfast. I checked their availability calendar online and it looks like I'm the only guest the first night! This kind of creeps me out. Of course my mind goes in a million directions. Should I be concerned?

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Good for you for leaving your comfort zone...
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM

i wouldn't worry about being the only guest at the B&B. When I travel alone, I like to make sure I have arrived in my destination in the daylight. I usually pick a busy chain restaurant to eat at, like a Cracker Barrel or a Ruby Tuesday in a busy place. I have also on occasion bought a takeout like Sonic and brought it to my room. You will be getting a great breakfast at the B$B, but if your room has a fridge, you can bring some things for you to eat along in a cooler. As far as getting lonely, it would depend on where you were going. If I were going to a beach, I would have my book to read and the scenery, so I wouldn't feel lonely. If I was in a more urban environment, I would busy myself with what I came to do, and the two days should pass very quickly. I would make sure of course, that my room was locked when I returned for the day, but I never had any security issues in all the times I traveled alone. I did not do anything at night, like go to a mall alone where I could be a potential target. As a single person, if I never traveled alone, I would never have seen and experienced the things that I did. Good for you for taking the opportunity.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 PM

I've had one overnight trip by myself and I loved every second of it! My sister travels alone all the time. She makes sure her phone is always charged. She leaves her flight/hotel/cruise/whatever information with someone. And she checks-in with someone when she arrives and when she gets home (just a text).
Eating alone in a restaurant can be intimidating the first time. I got over that quick. I need a book or my phone or magazine, though.
I hope you can relax and enjoy your trip!
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

You will have fun!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM

I travel alone at least 15 nights per year (sometimes for 14 days at a time). I enjoy it because I can do what I want when I want.

I am in constant contact with my husband, sister, and close friends 90% of the locations through text so I don't get lonely (other 10% are remote and I contact husband through the hotel's phone or weak wifi to let him know I got there). I also end up chatting it up with nice old ladies often. For two nights I can't imagine getting lonely unless you need your SO to sleep.

My biggest fear was getting mugged, but it has not happened. However, to make myself feel better I keep one credit/debit card in my pocket, one in my back pack (which is always with me) and one in my carry on (with my dirty underpants). I never go out in shady neighborhoods (use trip advisor or similar site to be sure you're in a safe neighborhood) and I never drink while traveling alone. I also have a list of numbers of people who would be home during the day in case someone were to steal my phone and cards. I've had some weird things happen to me, but no one has ever threatened me, made me feel uncomfortable or stolen from me. In fact so much traveling alone has made me realize how good people are in general.

I only eat in a restaurant by myself if it's part of the hotel package, otherwise I buy food to put in the fridge or microwave. If I do eat in a restaurant I bring my kindle and phone and read, text, or play on my phone. No one has ever cared.

You'll have a great time if you just have a plan b in mind for worst case scenarios. I have never had to use my prepared plan b.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 PM

I'm planning a trip this fall by myself, and I traveled for 10 days by myself. It is good because you can do what you want, when you want.

1. You might get lonely, but there are always people that you can chat up at restaurants and coffee shops (or activities...) generally people are nice & helpful.

2. It does feel weird to eat by yourself initially, but I usually just take a book and read...or pick a place and people watch. I don't generally eat at the bar by myself, because I don't like to be hit on when I'm shoving food in my face. And it doesn't make me feel safe most of the time.

3. As far as staying safe, trust your intuition. If you don't feel safe someplace, get yourself someplace you do. If you're concerned about the B&B...you can buy cheap door stops at the hardware store before you go and just throw it in your bag. It won't add much weight.

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 PM

Make sure if you are out walking around to stay in an area near other people. Be aware of your surroundings, and always look as if you know where you are going, even if you don't.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM

If you are traveling by car, make sure it is in tip-top shape so you don't have a break-down.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Traveling alone
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 PM

Can be really fun! I travel by myself frequently, and have done so all my life. (I am now in my sixties, so that's a lot of travel). I find that having a purpose or focus for a trip makes it more enjoyable. Others here have given you very good advice. I will only add, keep your cell phone charged and Auto Club card handy if you are driving. Even well maintained cars can get a flat tire!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Traveling Solo
Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 AM

I've traveled alone a few times and really enjoyed it. I sit at the bar when I go out to dinner and usually end up chatting with other people or the bartender. I sometimes get a little lonely, but it usually doesn't last long.

Good for you for doing this on your own. Staying at a bed and breakfast is a great idea. You'll meet other people and will probably get ideas for restaurants and things to do.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 AM

Thanks everyone! I will keep these things in mind. The nerves and excitement seem to alternate.

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

PEPteach
Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 AM

Good for you!! I love traveling alone and eating by myself! My DH is a firefighter, and he works 24 hour shifts. When he's working, I will often go eat by myself. Sometimes I read, grade papers (not applicable now, I know), and sometimes I just sit and watch people. People are fascinating!!

Everyone gave you some great advice, so I don't have much to offer. I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome that you're stepping out of your comfort zone. Kudos to you!!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Eating alone
Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 AM

is something I do pretty frequently because of my husbands work schedule. I always have something to read with me, and I feel more secure in a booth as opposed to a table. Pick a restaurant you feel comfortable in, and enjoy the time to yourself.

Truthfully, I haven't been to a hotel or done any real travel by myself in decades, and I know that it would be a big stretch for me. I respect your ability to take this big step and be brave! I hope you have a great time!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote