Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dog question

>

NCteacher

Dog question
Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 PM

We adopted a dog a little over a week ago. Heís a sweet, sweet boy and we are all getting along great. He is kenneled at night right now. At first he fussed, but now he settles in quickly and is good all night.

The problem is this- we hadnít all left him since we got him. So last night we kenneled him and went to dinner. We were gone 90 minutes. He broke down the door of his kennel and got out. So we fixed that. We realize we need to help him understand that we are coming back. So this morning, we went to Walmart to pick up our grocery order. We were gone 20 minutes. He broke out of his kennel again, without the door being open and we still canít figure that one out. I had gotten zip ties. So my husband and I went all around the kennel and zip tied any areas we thought he might try to get out of. We went to dinner tonight and were gone about 45 minutes. When we left we just said bye and walked out. He was still in his kennel when we got home- barely. He had managed to break 4 of the zip ties. My husband left his phone and recorded it. The dog scratched and pushed on the door of the kennel and was not frantic, but clearly upset. We came home, calmly said hi and took him outside.

How can we help his separation anxiety? The two times heís gotten out, he has run upstairs and hid. I hate that he doesnít understand that we will be back and it is just temporary. We donít dare leave him loose in the house, because yesterday I heard him chewing something and it was the extension cord for our Christmas tree! Itís for his safety - which I know he doesnít get. I filled his Kong with bite size treats and put cream cheese inside. He licked the cream cheese off and then spent his time trying to break out.

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 12-30-2018, 08:32 PM

We have a dog that would not stay in a crate. It totally freaked her out. She could escape from every crate we used. She actually broke some of her teeth breaking out. We tried everything on the market to help her settle down in the crate and nothing worked. We finally stopped crating her and partitioned off a safe area of the house and garage for her. It cost us a couch that she destroyed and many years worth of dental problems due to the broken teeth. But I absolutely love love love this dog. Luckily weíve been able to deal with her teeth a little at a time. Ironically, she loves little spaces like under the recliner when the footrest is up. But it needs to be on her terms. Sheís an awesome dog!
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 PM

Would it be possible for everyone to leave the house for shorter amounts of time to start out? For example, start with five minutes and then return. The dog could see that you will return, but most likely, he wouldn't be able to escape in just five minutes. Then increase it to ten minutes and so on.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 PM

What about leaving a radio on? It might fool him into thinking someone is home
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-31-2018, 03:59 AM

The plan for today is to leave for 5 minutes and make it a bit longer each time. I go back to work on Thursday, so this is kind of important.

I downloaded a ďskillĒ for my Alexa called ďRelax my DogĒ. It plays soothing music- he just never relaxed long enough to hear it.

We took him to the vet on Friday for just a general once over. I have some treats called Composure Chews. They are not medicine, but cause dogs to become very relaxed. We will try that as well.

Sasha B

Old 12-31-2018, 05:23 AM

I have used a metal exercise pen to give my dog his own area. I put his kennel inside with some water and a toy. That gave him some freedom to move around when I wasnít home. If you are kenneling at night I would not kennel during the day also. Having your dog kenneled for so many hours is not healthy.

I have used a dog trainer with success and you might consider that for your dog.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 12-31-2018, 07:01 AM

I agree with the music and maybe even a TV on.
I also like the idea of a small room or area. If she likes the crate at night, maybe keep the crate in the small room so she knows it is a safe place.
Leave some things with your scent. I saw a new dog bed idea I liked. It is really just a cover and you fill it with some of your clothes, so the dog would get the scent.

Good luck...let us know how it goes.
happykids is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Dog
Old 12-31-2018, 07:03 AM

Maybe a crate rather than a metal kennel. My lab was great at breaking through the metal kennels no matter what. I finally opted for an outside 10 x 10 kennel and a companion dog. These things helped her settle down when I left. She could move as she pleased in the large outdoor area and she had a buddy to play with.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-31-2018, 07:22 AM

We are working with our vet. For right now, her recommendation is to have him kenneled when we arenít home. Ideally, he will be free to sleep out of the kennel while being kenneled during the day. For the time being, he is going to have to be kenneled while we are at work. It isnít quite as long as it sounds. My husband leaves around 9 and Iím home by 3:30. He is in training right now and is getting walked multiple times a day with play times in between with us in the back yard. We are trying to establish routines and rules.

mommy9298

Old 12-31-2018, 10:31 AM

Are you using a metal crate? They are pretty tough to get out of. You can start building up the time he is in the crate during the day. Do five minutes a few times a day and increase it every day. Iím not sure if your dog is ready to be left in the crate all day. Can you hire a dog walker to stop by in the middle of the day? Do you have a safe area he can be left alone in such as a bathroom or laundry room? I would put the crate in the room and leave the crate door open. I leave music on when we are not home. If itís a short amount of time, I leave the tv on. I got a puppy in May and I built up the amount of time in the crate gradually over the summer. He needs to realize itís a safe place to go.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 PM

My dog would escape from the crate no matter what I did. I put up a tall baby gate and gave her the entire large laundry room when I had to leave. Eventually, she worked her way up to 2 rooms, and now has the whole house, with a few doors shut. I would definitely recommend trying a gate if your dog's not a fan of the crate.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-31-2018, 03:10 PM

We talked about closing off the room his kennel is in, but I donít know what weíd use. Heís a big guy- if he puts his front paws on the counter, he can reach the back of the counter. I learned this the hard way. Made scrambled eggs for my husband and put his plate at the back of the counter and Blue really enjoyed them!

SportingKC

Old 01-01-2019, 06:46 AM

I didn't have an escape artist, but I agree that you almost need to "train" him to be in his kennel for longer periods of time.

When your husband filmed him, when was he at his most anxious? Right when you left? When you'd been gone for a bit? Once you figure that out, try to give him something else to focus on at the time when he's most anxious. A frozen peanut butter filled Kong worked (and still works) for my dog. That may not work for yours if he's not food motivated.

I also agree with leaving a radio on. BUT...you've also got to play the radio or whatever sometimes when you're home too...otherwise your pup will stress out when you turn the radio on because he will know you're leaving. I have actually left my TV on a few times when I know things are happening outside that will stress my dog. It's on a lot at my house and I know that's a normal thing for him to be around.

Side note: My dog's name is Bleu too
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-01-2019, 08:38 AM

My dog was kenneled from the strat and one year she had enough. She can eat her way out of metal and plastic crates.

Good advice, I feel, from posters. Good luck. It is hard to come home worrying about what you find.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 01-01-2019, 02:04 PM

Good advice! Last night people were shooting off fireworks and guns at midnight. Discovered that Blue dog is scared of this noises. I decided to try letting him sleep in my room with the door closed. He slept all night just as peaceful as could be. We are having to be careful because he is on prednisone and it is making him drink and pee a lot. He has had two pee accidents in the house.

Side note- how do you clean pee out of a carpet? I use paper towels to soak up as much as I can and then use a spot treatment spray to get rid of the smell and stain.

kahluablast

Old 01-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Paper towels or a cloth to dry it up. Then baking soda on top and spray peroxide. Otherwise the dog will reuse the spot...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote