Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So helpless

>

70Primrose

So helpless
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 AM

I guess I have a lot on my mind. Have several posts in various places. This one is about my own life. I have a son that is a senior he will graduate in 3 weeks, a daughter that is a sophomore, and a daughter that is a senior in college and will graduate in 3 weeks. Proud mom! My son has been harassed by some punk kids this year. They got mad at my son because he called them out on their racist and homophobic comments. They retaliated by calling him homophobic slurs in the hall...go figure. They drive past our house at least twice a day honking or yelling and last night were sitting outside our house across the street on the curb creepily smoking and watching our house. My husband and I went out and confronted them, they deny everything. I have complained to the school about the harassment in the halls. The boys were talked to by the principal and the SRO, the boys denied everything and it hasn’t stopped. The school has a big announcement on their web page that says, “Report bullying! We will help!” They can’t help. Bullies always win. Now they are calling my daughter names in the hall (a thot) it is a new mean acronym. This has made my kids and my family so depressed and stressed out. My son started having panic attacks and is now on antidepressants and my daughter hates school and does not want to go. They are miserable. I am miserable because I feel helpless. We can’t sell our house and move. Not in a strong enough financial place to do that right now. I can switch my daughters school next year or she could do online. She would miss her friends though. The ring leader boys are seniors so they will be gone next year. My daughter is so unhappy and always grumpy. I don’t know what to do or how to fix things. Life is not happy right now.

Last edited by 70Primrose; 05-04-2019 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: spelling of a word fixed
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-04-2019, 07:54 AM

The good thing is that the ring leaders are seniors and will be gone next year.

Your DS will be done with that mess to since he is graduating.

I hate to say it, but summer will allow things to cool down and the bullies will find someone else to bully, so your DD should be fine next year.

Two things I would do...call the non-emergceny police number and explain your situation. Ask for them to drive by your home several times a day for the next week. They do this all the time, so it shouldn't be an issue. This should discourage bullies.

Second, if your DD continues to be bullied next year. I would follow chain of command Iver several days. If I got no action I would mention I was calling the police and my lawyer since their no bullying policy is not being enforced! That ought yo get them moving and not brush it under the rug. I WISH I had done so when my DD was bullied! So wish I had done so!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I've never had a child in this situation
Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 AM

before, so I can't help you much. But apparently you need more proof than she said/he said. So, I expect I'd be going to Amazon, investigating "wearable cameras" and finding something that I could give to both my son and my daughter. I'd accumulate some evidence and take it to the authorities and be a squeaky wheel (if I had to) for my daughter and son. I would suggest your daughter surround herself with her friends, who can also witness. Often bullies like to be sneaky, so she should avoid being alone for the time being.

I'm guessing they are sitting in a public sidewalk, so you can't run them off. However, you could install very bright motion sensor lights that would shine a spotlight on them while they're sitting there.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 AM

What a terrible helpless feeling . I would spend some money on a lawyer to confront both the bullies' parents and the school admin. The local media outlets could be a resource as well. Perhaps by speaking up to pursue these thugs, your children could eventually become more able to defend themselves. I'm so sorry your family is in such a predicament.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 AM

That is horrible! I'd keep going to admin and calling the police non emergency line when they are outside the house. Squeaky wheel the hell out of this.

And I learned a new, completely disgusting term. My goodness, what in the world??

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Omg!!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Oh my God, I spelled the acronym wrong! It is a Thot, not as bad as the one you looked up! Sorry, now you will learn two new terrible things. I fixed the spelling.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Harassment
Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 AM

I have not had been in your position, so cannot provide you with any anecdotal advice, but I do so support you.

The previous posters had some very good advice. PrivateEyes and I are on the same wavelength. My first thought in reading your post was "document, document, document" and some of the types of documentation mentioned seem very sound. I would also install cameras around the house. That type of loitering outside your house needs to be documented.

Thank goodness those lowlifes are seniors and will be gone from school next year.

Thank goodness your son is a senior (but so very sad that his year has to end on this note).

Thank goodness summers seem to diffuse (hopefully) chronic issues such as these.

Keep us posted.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Thot
Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM

THOT is Thirsty Heux (ho) Over There. Usually yelled at women "who do stuff for attention". Hilaria Baldwin, Justin's Bieber's wife, Lena Dunham...you allegedly don't have any really stellar talent, so you stir sh*t up for attention.

I'm sure they yelled THOT not Thong. At my kid's high school, some of the younger teachers get called THOTs by the teens.

People slow driving by my house? Restraining order time.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-04-2019, 10:22 AM

Escalate now! Admin needs to have a bigger presence on the hallway. These kids have to lose something if they come close to your kids again. I would take it to the board if nothing is done, and I would call police if the kids sit outside your house. It might be restraining order time.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-04-2019, 11:54 AM

I love the idea of asking the police to drive by your house frequently for awhile. That will likely scare them away.

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is online now   Reply With Quote

dee

Hallway presence
Old 05-04-2019, 12:30 PM

I'm in a middle school.
All teachers are expe ted to be in the hall between bells.
Definitely do the police route, and escalate your concerns at school.

My thought is that seniors feel invincible and may escalate the harassment, or wait until after graduation.

Stalking requires a restraining order.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote