Need Ideas for Brain v. Brawn Greece Ideas

>

AK2TEACHER

AK2TEACHER

Need Ideas for Brain v. Brawn Greece Ideas
Old 04-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi guys,

I'm a student teacher who is working with a seventh grade classroom in social studies. I have 2 weeks to come up with a "brain vs. brawn" activity (based on Athens vs. Sparta)

I'm at a loss!

For brains I was thinking maybe Greek history trivia based on their chapters, in the form of bingo (what program would I use for the boxes? OR jeopardy (what program could I use? maybe sticky cards?)

and for brawn.... very lost. I will talk to the PE teacher about borrowing some equipment, but it CAN'T be a mimic of, for example, sports played in the Olympics, as we will not have covered it yet, and it needs to be something that wont destroy a computer in the classroom by accident.

I'm not trying to avoid doing any of this, but I just need some guidance.

Mikhail

So engaging
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow, I would love to be a student in your class! Just to be a sounding board, you can do jeopardy type game with them using powerpoint or prezi. Solving of a puzzle like sodoku for brain. For brawn, they don't have to be actual sports IMO. Could you at least do something like tossing a ring around a pylon (instead of throwing an actual javelin)? You know a simulation? Or what about race around an object with a hard-boiled egg in hand? It's kind of like their baton? Cup-stacking activity as a race between teams?Those novelty party games may come in handy. I'm also thinking of scavenger games. It's not about the actual games per se but how might a Spartan (or an Athenian) try to gain an edge (including cheating?). Be ready to book a large room like the school gym itself or your music/band/lunch room to do some of these activities. Hallway might be okay so long as they're trying to be quiet (good luck with that). Or a school courtyard especially if the grounds are level and there's no snow/ice.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are tons of game show type templates in PowerPoint you could use for your brains. Just google Jeopardy PowerPoint template.

I agree that browns doesn’t have to be super sporty. Any of the games the pp listed would be fine. I was even thinking like a trashketball type of game where you throw wadded up paper in the trash. If you wanted to tie the two activities together, maybe when they get a review question correct, they get a chance to make the “ball” in the “basket”. You could have points for the question, and points for the basket, and bonus points if they get both?
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Re-invention, unnecessary
Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At least for the brain type activity. Here's good website https://jeopardylabs.com/browse/?q=A...&submit=Search

I think it's appropriate to set up the class in teams of no more than 4. Consider the materials you're going to be needing for each team and frame of time. Would students be awarded some kind of group grade? Rubrics?

What exactly will be happening in two weeks? Is the brain vs. brawn activity supposed to be a culminating/review activity? Do you plan on spreading the activity throughout those two weeks? Do you plan on doing one activity (brawn for example) on the 1st week and then the other in the 2nd week?

Last edited by Mikhail; 04-04-2018 at 03:25 AM..
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote