Career Decisions

back to teaching?

>

anteacher1

anteacher1

back to teaching?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers please remind me why I should not go back into teaching or find another career. I'm starting the job hunt but keep idealizing teaching again. It's been 7 years since I last taught.

Hotbox88

My advice....
Old 04-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don’t go back into teaching! It’s exhausting and thankless. Behaviors are getting worse. There’s not much parental support. The stress of the job is unbearable. I spend my vacation time in recovery, resting because I’m so exhausted I can’t think. I’m always behind on my paperwork and, in my opinion, our professional development is a waste of time. Teaching is so very stressful and draining! It has taken me 30 years to finally make a decent salary. The upside is, of course, we get lots of vacation time. But as I mentioned, I’m so tired during vacation, I can’t do much besides rest. Don’t get me wrong, there are positives about teaching. But not enough to make me want to stay much longer. I’m sorry to sound like such a whiner. I guess perhaps working days, nights, and weekends has taken its toll. Good luck to you in making your decision! I wish you the best!
Hotbox88 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 04-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've really enjoyed teaching over the years. That being said, I work in a suburban district with good salaries and good admin support. In an environment like that it's possible to have work-life balance. I work generally school hours and don't have to spend personal money on my classroom. I also don't teach a grade that is bogged down with standardized testing. I would be very careful about researching the schools before applying.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 04-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't do it! Hotbox88 is spot on.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Miserable...
Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Itís a miserable profession.

Nothing you do will ever be good enough....for parents, admin and even the other teachers (because even your colleagues will be backstabbing and critical).

Worst decision Iíve ever made. Save yourself and find something else. Iím serious.

crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote
anonaa

anonaa

Every job
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well isn't every job like this to some degree?? Is it really just teaching? I hear nurses are the same way, they "eat" their young.

basketball777

Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My mom always enjoyed nursing though even with the dramas there. I cannot say that about teaching. Iíve been out of teaching full time going on 3 years now and tho I could see myself teaching in the short term, I canít see it for the remainder of my career. I feel burnt out all around and the state education is in, I wouldnít recommend it to anyone..... I just feel stuck of what to do though
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Every field
Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

has drawbacks and good things. Sometimes, it is easier to remember the good things after being out of the field for awhile.

Right now, many places have a teacher shortage and for good reasons. But teaching does have rewards as well.

I think you need to consider the balances between teaching and whatever else you are considering: working hour requirements (and after work prep), salary, and working conditions come immediately to mind and pretty much depend on where you live or can relocate. What are you qualified to do right now vs. getting more education (and it's time and costs)?

Are you required to earn at a particular level for family needs? What can best meet those needs with what time frame to begin, etc.

You might volunteer at a school or two in various neighborhoods and see how it feels, there would be a few weeks left in the school year.

You can also start researching districts and states for what they offer teachers and what they require as well as other career possibilities.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Save yourself!!
Old 05-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ok, that is probably a bit dramatic. I taught for 30 years, mostly in private schools. I loved teaching, and I was a good teacher, also. I retired last year, but still needed insurance. I am only 55. I took a job at a local credit union. It is Bliss!! I have regular hours, nothing to take home, they supply office supplies, and I haven't had to say "please don't lick the pencil sharpener" once.

Seriously, my blood pressure is down, as is my dose of Prozac. I can honestly say my quality of life has improved. Teaching just isn't what it was... You have many marketable skills. I suggest looking at all options. Good Luck!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote