Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Looping with students

>

mrteacherguy

Looping with students
Old 05-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year I will be looping with my 6th grade students and become their 7th grade math teacher (I taught 6th grade science with them this year).

Iíve never looped with students before, and I could use some general advise from anyone who has.

This group of kids is a particularly rough group (lack of effort and lots of behavior issues), so Iím also looking for guidance on how to get things started off on a better track in the fall, guven that we already have a bit of a rocky teacher/student relationship.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

not a suggestion
Old 05-11-2018, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like the idea of looping actually because it cuts down on having to build new rapport with different students and you already know some patterns. You see their progress at least for another year. You already know the parents.

The downside is, what if some of your students are looking forward to having a different teacher for whatever reason? I would speak to a colleague like a PE teacher, a shops teacher, or some specials teacher that tend to have larger classes and experience looping more often.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 05-16-2018, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iíve looped twice with groups. Once going from 4th to 5th and once from 5th to 6th. I also teach math and looping is so benificial in that subject. Those two years were two of my best years ever.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I looped from freshman homeroom to sophomore homeroom once, the incoming freshman were not happy, as I went back to freshmen the next year. It's a rewarding experience. As to your rough students, use that rough year to your advantage, by starting off they year telling them that you know them, you know their potential and this is the year to really start being on their game. You didn't say it, but I'm going to assume the boys are the disruptors?

I'm going to repost my response to a post in the 3-5th forum for you. It's maybe a little late by 7th grade but I bet it will have some effect. You have an amazing opportunity that many teachers do not ever have, to have a longer time to effect your students. Do not let this opportunity go to waste.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

This was meant for anotehr post, but may help
Old 05-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

* This post was aimed at 5th grade boys with end-of-year-itis, but it may help your 7th graders too. *

you were their science teacher, so you will have an advantage with the oak tree comparison and growing up etc...

I appreciate the vent, but as a guy, I seem to have an affect on 5th grade boys. I usually (as a guy) take them aside and make them look me in the eye, and explain that men look each other in the eye when they talk, and possibly the most important part of my job as a teacher is to help them prepare to grow into the amazing men that they were designed to be. That all this schoolwork they see no purpose in, is actually the foundation that they will build their lives upon. I use the analogy of a house or building, I explain that the foundation, although often unseen, is the most important part of the building, because if its not strong, the building will not last, regardless of how good subsequent building materials are used.

Sometimes they will tell me that they are a kid and not a man, but I will explain how a sprouting acorn is just as much an oak tree as a towering oak, its just not done yet. Same DNA etc...

I tell them that I see a big strong man growing inside them, and although they see a 11 yr old kid in the mirror each morning, I see the man they should/will become. I tell them that every choice they make is like an off-ramp or a fork in the road. that the road is the road to the amazing man that they are supposed to be, and it would be wrong of me to not call them out when I think they are making a bad turn, because some off ramps do not go to that good destination, they lead off into the wilderness where life will be tough, and they cannot grow into the awesome, strong and amazing man that I see in them. I'll ask them if they saw a suitcase of money on the side of the road, if they would keep going, or stop and pick it up, of course they would stop and pick it up.... I tell them that they are far too valuable to leave on the side of the road.

Every boy wants to be a strong and impressive man when he grows up. I want that for them too, they deserve it, and our society deserves it, and the time to train them to be that person is right now. The hormones and brain chemistry that started to effect them at the end of 4th grade will be their constant companion into their 20s, so they need to get a grip on who they want to be, who they really are and teachers are the 2nd most influential people in their lives, and often when they share this conversation with their parents/guardians its not hard to get them on board too. (parents love to hear how little Johnny is an awesome kid with potential, here's how to steer that energy into that destination...)

I know its the end of the year, and a little late to effect them too much, but you can flavor their summer with a group talk if nothing else. Start off the next school year with your boys in this manner, and I bet you will see different boys all year. If you tell them how awesome they are in your eyes, they will rise to that level for you in some form.

Eye contact, and obviously a sincere demeanor is important for this talk. they often will not want to look you in the eyes, you may have to lift their chin up with your finger gently to make them look you in the eyes, but its important that they see your love and concern, even if you don't see it back.

The whole world outside is telling them that they are less than perfect, the media, peers, music, etc. So be the one person in their lives that says that's a lie. It will stick with them. Tell them they are getting a 60% even though they deserve much less, and you both know it. That will have more and longer lasting impact than simply a grade.

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote