middle school math teachers - grading outside of class? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

middle school math teachers - grading outside of class?

>

Trevortiger

middle school math teachers - grading outside of class?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught in middle school but am now in elementary (third grade). I don't like planning for so many different subjects every day and the grading at home and on the weekends (and lesson planning) is a nightmare. I also prefer middle schoolers to elementary students. I used to teach 8th grade history and 1 section of language arts. I have a BA in English, but am not interested in grading 90 essays routinely. I have been astonished to discover that I love teaching elementary math, even though my background is not in math. What's the grading time and lesson planning like for middle school math teachers? Do you teach science too or just math? I'm seriously thinking about going back to get an additional certification in MS math, but want to walk in with my eyes open. Thanks for any insight!

Trevortiger is offline   Reply With Quote

BuddyDogKC

Old 05-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 3rd and 4th grade for eight years, then moved to middle school ELA. I LOVED it. Then I ended up changing districts and going back to 4th grade. The move has been unbelievably difficult to get used to. It was super tough going back to having to plan and grade for all the different subjects. I've accepted that I cannot grade everything (not that I did when I taught elementary before, but even less now). I've learned to use a lot of activities and assignments as formatives and conference with students instead. I usually only put summatives in the grade book (our district does a 10% formative/90% summative anyway). I still couldn't get used to having the same kids all day and planning/teaching/grading all subjects. I'm actually going back to teaching middle school next year (7th US history and 8th geography)!

Anyway, I know in Nevada, most middle schools include 6th grade. With a standard teaching license, you can still teach 6th grade in a departmentalized middle school. However, 7th and 8th would need other requirements. Maybe check to see what the rules are in terms of grades you are able to teach with your current license. Also, are there schools in your district that departmentalizes in elementary? A lot of the elementary schools in my district and the charter schools nearby departmentalize in 5th grade (my current school's 5th grade switches only for math).

I know that didn't really answer your questions about middle school math, but just wanted to reach out anyway. Good luck!
BuddyDogKC is offline   Reply With Quote