Help

Career Decisions

I love my school but Iím tempted

>

Kinderkr4zy

I love my school but Iím tempted
Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First let me say that I work in a wonderful school. We are very impacted with big class sizes but it is a nice suburban school with a good principal and I really like my grade level team. I like my grade level ok ( 3rd grade) but its not my sweet spot which would be kindergarten or TK. I worked in preschool for 10 years and kinder for a few years after that before moving to third 2 years ago but I have missed it. But kinder and TK spots in my school wonít come open until someone retires-the teachers are all 15 or more years in kinder with 15 or more years to go until until retirement.

Recently a TK position in another building came open and I feel very tempted-especially this week since my third graders are in the middle of state testing hell. Itís a huge risk though-I donít know anyone in that building and they are also getting a new P next year. I would love the grade level but what if the other teachers are not friendly or good collaborators and what if the new P is horrible.

What would you all do? would you for it or just hang on to my current gig which is good-just not my perfect grade level?

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy87

Wendy87

My two cents
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is tough! I had an awful first year teaching in third grade so I understand how it feels not to be in the grade you want. I took it hoping I could work my way back down to kindergarten (my favorite grade). Anyways that's really just to say that after having such an awful year, I feel compelled to say...if you are unhappy, move! Life is too short to not be doing what you love and are best at! I know it's a risk and I would be scared too about leaving a good team and administrator, but if you enjoy that grade level more, it's going to show. Your enthusiasm should help win over the new team and principal and I'd imagine your students will be more engaged. Best of luck!

Haley23

Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For me personally, there would be too many unknowns in that scenario to prompt me to move. A bad admin or bad teammates can make any teaching position miserable. It doesn't sound like you're miserable in 3rd; it's just not your favorite. I wouldn't leave a good team, school, and admin just to get into a preferred grade level. If it were me, I'd wait until a position opens up in a building that you'll know more about- i.e. with an established admin so you'll know if it's a good place to work or not prior to accepting.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote