Pre-Enployment Drug Screening

>

M.Carly

M.Carly

Pre-Enployment Drug Screening
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I just recently graduated college and have been looking for a job. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on drug tests surrounding teacher hires. Most of my friends have never taken one, and yet I know schools do. Is there a way that I can tell if a school applying to will have a drug screening? If so how?

Also: what's your personal experience with pre employment procedures involving drug screenings?

mrsf70

Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've only had to do it for one large, urban district. Once I was recommended for the job position I interviewed for, I met with human resources, then had to visit a specified collection site for a urine test within so many hours of the hr meeting. It was not a big deal.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have never heard of anyone at school sites around here asking for a drug test on hiring. I've never taken one and I've worked for multiple districts. I think it's relatively uncommon.

That said, I have no doubt that some districts in some areas might ask for one. If you are concerned about something showing up on your test, then just make sure to abstain from any recreational drug use for several weeks (I'm assuming that you recreationally smoke weed. If I'm wrong and it's something harder like opiates, please seek help as that is a very serious problem).

Or, if you have a medical need for anything that might show up on a test, let them know that before you take the test and get a doctor's note clearing you for it. Shouldn't be a problem.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

My district does...
Old 07-08-2018, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We were finger printed, screened through the sex offender and convicted felon registry, and drug tested. This was for noon aide gig. The teachers had to do the same.

Anyway...even if marijuana is legal/and or you have a card, you test dirty you don't get hired. Marijauana is still illegal with the Feds. The district defaults to Federal law for this.

My district does urine testing, and you pee with a person watching you at the employment clinic. There is no privacy.

The district may not come out and say 'drug testing". My district bundles it under "pre-employment physical." For support staff, we had to PAY for the drug screen. If we were hired the cost was reimbursed. If you know you are going to test dirty, you don't bother spending the $200.

I have a friend, who works for a employment physical/drug testing place. Two biggest fails are for amphetamine salts (Ritalin) with no provided information before hand, and weed. The tests are sensitive now, and that circa 1990 cleanse won't cut it.

This is a district that pays really really well, and in an affluent area. A kindergarten position can get over 300 applications. It's one way to screen out people.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not sure...
Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not sure how to know ahead of time if the place does one or not. I know sometimes I've seen it listed on the job posting advertisement.

I had to do it for one of mine. The school district pays for everything. I had to make an appointment. They did a TB test, a drug-urine screen, and a physical. The physical was not a typical physical. They did blood pressure, listened to my heart and lungs, etc. There was so no internal exam or anything like that.

For the drug test, they gave me a cup to pee in and sent me to the bathroom. I was "searched" before going in (nothing major or embarrassing) to make sure I didn't bring anything in to "tamper" with the test. After I peed, I couldn't flush the toilet, they had to come in to look at the toilet and then they flushed. Again, I think this was to make sure nothing was tampered with.

From what I was told, if I were to have failed the test, they could only tell my employer that I failed. They couldn't say what drugs. I do take prescription medicine and was worried about this, but the nurse told me that often it is not even detected and if it is, that would not be reported to my employer. In other words, if it showed up on my drug test, they would not tell my employer it showed up.

It was no biggie at all, aside from 30-45 minutes out of my day.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote