Help

The Job Search

Redirection not rejection

>

jag1986

Redirection not rejection
Old 07-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long story short, my career in teaching hasn't been easy. I graduated undergrad in 2008, with Psych and elementary ed like 1 million other people. I got my Masters in special Ed whie I worked a lot of aide jobs initially(in severe special education) and then finally got a teaching job for special ed(inclusion/resource) in a Charter school in an urban setting where I have been the past 6 years . I received loan forgiveness and overall, I work with great people and it's really laid back so it's not the worst place to be. 6 years in I make about 52k with a Masters which isn't great.

My focus now has been finding a job closer to home (I commute 45 mins each way) and a job with potential to make good money by the time I want to retire.

I had a pity party for myself today when I found out I did not get a position in the district I had attended. When I got the interview call I was thrilled. A 5 minute commute?! In a lovely district?! The same day of that interview, I got a call for another interview in a different district.

Not getting that #1 job was a bummer. Then interviewing for this other position, which I learned, sounded like a nightmare, made me emotional.

I've spent 10 years now feeling somehow inadequate because I haven't landed that perfect lil suburbia teaching job. But ya know what...that's terrible.

My boyfriend reminded me that if I don't get the positions, it has nothing to do with what I'm lacking and everything to do with whether or not those administrators think I match with what they want.

You are where you are meant to be. It might be different then you imagined it to be, but embrace it. I am still educating students and making a positive difference. All this other stuff....has nothing to do with me being a less effective teacher than the Joe Shmoe who got the position I wanted.

Just remember that folks.

jag1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-12-2018, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have come to the conclusion that it's all about who interviews best. You've got a good attitude. Maybe something will open up for you yet.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 07-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree and have always felt that I got the job I was supposed to have, not necessarily the one I thought I wanted.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote