The Job Search

Any NY teachers here?!

>

ST13

Any NY teachers here?!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there!

So a little background, I am originally from NYS but unfortunately had to move to an area where teachers were actually needed. It worked out great and I have been here for 3 years but I am running into an issue because I want to keep my NYS certifications (I worked SO hard and spent SO much money on them) but I didn't realize how many loopholes there are to get that professional certification.

So I have 3 separate certifications from NYS 1. Childhood Ed 1-6 2. Early Childhood Birth - 2nd 3. Students with disabilities 1-6 ... and they all have different expiration dates because one was from my undergrad, one was an extension after a couple extra classes and one was from grad school.

So last year I had to apply for the extension for 1 of the certifications because I still had to meet that 3 years of classroom teaching requirement (I was on year 2 of 3)... got my extension and went on my way.

One of my certifications is expiring this year but since I just finished year 3 of teaching I didn't think to start the application process early because I technically didn't have 3 years experience yet. Jokes on me because when I went to apply for the professional certification I realized it's a little more than just sending NYS money and clicking a few boxes... I had no idea that I had to send in forms that proved I had a mentor/3 years experience. In fact, when I called a few years ago and asked what I needed to do to get the credit for 3 years once that happened the woman on the phone said I just had to update it on TEACH (apparently not).

Anyway, my issue is since I am out of state I think it might take me a little while to get that paperwork sent to NY because I am not sure if the forms will be different and the school district where I teach is the entire county not just one town/city, so getting a hold of whoever needs to sign these papers might take a while. AKA after my expiration date.

So I guess my question is this, when they send back the application evaluation saying I am missing components, do they give you extra time to gather whatever is missing? I know on TEACH it says that applications are valid for 2 years or 2 evaluations whichever comes first... but what about if your certification expires soon?

My other idea was, hmm maybe I should just apply for an extension for this certification so I have more time to get together all the paperwork. Well, when I went to apply for the extension you had to give a reason why you need the extension and my situation didn't necessarily match any of the options so I am kind of stuck.

Any advice?

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 07-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Call and talk to a human and explain your situation and have them give you the proper steps to take next.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

KZ1987

Old 08-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not sure if you still need advice for this, but I just got my professional certificates from NY. I would go ahead and put through your application, they won't review your file until all of your paperwork is submitted. If they do happen to review it before that happens, you can pretty easily reach out to them via e-mail or phone, and they should hold off until everything is submitted to re-review your file. I had an issue with how some of my paperwork was submitted, and no problems getting it re-reviewed once everything was corrected.
KZ1987 is offline   Reply With Quote