Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1: Intervention, not a scripted program

>

mollymae57

mollymae57

Title 1: Intervention, not a scripted program
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any of you have experience doing a reading intervention based on student book choice? I don't want to do a phonics program, I want their hands on a book of choice to engage interest. But how can I do this with a small group as an intervention? Manage it with numerous kids? Any ideas?

WGReading

Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are a few ways I can think of that might work, depending on what the focus of your interventions is, and grade level.

1) Comprehension strategies (questioning, summarizing, etc) - Mini-lessons and anchor charts related to comprehension strategies can then be applied by students with their independent text.

2) Comprehension skills w/graphic organizers - if you are practicing specific skills or students are with a specific graphic organizer in their classroom, they could practice with their independent book. Compare & contrast characters with a Venn diagram, etc.

3) You could run your group like a reading workshop with conferencing - while students are reading independently, you rotate through conferencing with students. They could read you part of their text and you could discuss it together, set a purpose for the next section of reading, take a timed fluency read, discuss important vocabulary, etc.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Tier 1
Old 08-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is Tier 1. If you are providing intervention you need to be much more strategic!
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 08-04-2018, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also believe you need to be more strategic. Jan Richardson just published a new book “The Next Step Forward in Reading Intervention.” This may be of interest to you.
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

For me
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

writing is a strong phonics program. Students constructing a single sentence, individually or as a group--group especially in the beginning, and then writing it out with teacher guidance as to listening to the individual sounds in the words and organizing the letters associated. Work on spacing and punctuation can also be done while writing.

It might be good to begin with interactive writing (with teacher and children sharing the pen as the group sentence is constructed. The teacher can write some letters, especially those that may be beyond the current level of the students while explaining what letters are used and which sound(s) they represent. The students in the group taking turns writing the other emerging and known sounds.

FYI: This can be laborious, especially in the beginning with emerging literacy students, so it may take more than one session to complete the sentence. I learned to write the sentence for myself someplace after it was developed with the students so neither they nor I would lose track of the words among the lessons. Re=read the sentence to that point after each word is finished.

The sentence might be about the story being read to add/reflect compression.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Intervention Resource
Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you know who Nell Duke is you will appreciate that she has recommended this resource to all Literacy Coaches in the state of Michigan. Once you buy the book you have access to all the materials for free using the access code in the front cover of the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Plan-Differen...PGQ5X99P37YYRC
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

I used to do this
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry, I don't normally come to this board anymore, I had retired a few years ago. I used Reading A-Z and the students were able to choose what book they wanted to read from, at their levels. I made sure they were reading from their instructional levels. This would work with any books they would choose.

I would begin group with a little bit of chitchat while some would check in or check out books to take home. They would open their folders, which contained their books and a bookmark. They would read in a small whisper voice until I call them up to me one at a time. The one I called would stand next to me where I could also see the book and I would observe that child reading to me. I would make anecdotal notes of what needs instruction, maybe do a little instruction, and ask a few questions to be sure there was comprehension happening. I would be able to listen to each student 3-5 times per week. They could also have a writing activity that would go along with the book they chose to read, or a fun writing activity they would all do at their ability level.

When I retired, I was moved away from this type of instruction and told to follow a scripted program, which I felt was not as effective for the students.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Kab164

Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Why are the students in Title? If it's for accuracy, in 1st-3rd grade we use Phonics for Reading (there are 3 levels) but we incorporate other things into the program. We also stop and play reading games, I do a unit on sharks when we learn 'ar' words. With my first grade students in the spring we practice and perform Green Eggs and Ham and have refreshments, they get to choose a free book, etc.

In K we use LLI, the orange kit. For the first month or so we do a lot of phonemic awareness activities, do alphabet activities, rhyming, play reading games. Then we start LLI in November.

For our students that need fluency support, we use Read Naturally. You can also do reader's theaters, the Florida Center for Reading Research has a lot of resources that you can narrow down by grade and skill.

We have used Rewards with fifth grade students to help with their accuracy and attacking multisyllabic words.

I think if you are doing pull out, you need to use a research based intervention with the students if they are in Title 1.

Hope that helps.
Kab164 is offline   Reply With Quote