Help

Career Decisions

Completing an Ed.D. while teaching

>

JourneyMan84

Completing an Ed.D. while teaching
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anybody on here gone back for their doctorate in Education? If so, what can you share about your experience and what advice can you lend for balancing the coursework along with classroom lesson planning and your personal life? I know the Ed.D. is much more conducive to the working professional, especially teachers, whereas a Ph.D. requires much more time and effort to complete, and it is not feasible to work a full-time job and study simultaneously. Furthermore, an EdD. seems better suited for my situation, since an Ed.D. focuses more on the application of knowledge to solve problems with the current educational setting, rather than a PhD., which is geared towards gaining theoretical research outside of the classroom.

The program I am looking into is for three years, with the first two years of classroom instruction and the final year of independent research.

I teach English as a Second Language is a prominently low-income inner-city school. And with my current position, I want to able to research some of the issues faced when working in an environment where funding and resources are scarce compared to some of the surrounding middle-class suburban districts. I also want this opportunity to grow professionally, and maybe eventually I can transition to an administrative role at the district or community college level.

Last edited by JourneyMan84; 07-19-2018 at 08:10 AM..
JourneyMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote

iTeach314

Me too
Old 11-01-2018, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
I am also pursuing an Ed. D. and this is my first semester. I teach at the elementary level. My program is three years. The work from my teaching job spills over so much into my life after work and impacts the amount of time I am able to read assigned texts, research, and write papers. However, I am pressing on. I hope your semester is going well!
iTeach314 is offline   Reply With Quote