Help

Special Education

Tiny vent...

>

checkerjane

Tiny vent...
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

that I donít want to post on The Vent board and possibly insult gen ed teachers, although I was one, lol.

I donít think some of them get that I have more than one kid in my room at a time. :/ I have five 1st graders pulled at the same time. Today, one of the first grade teachers asked me to take the student I pull out of her class to the library. Um, no. I told her to feel free to send her in the afternoon when the para is in my room, but I canít take her at that time because I have other kids. She acted shocked.

And, I love this teacher dearly. Iím just wondering if most of them think I only have one or two kids at a time and perhaps thatís the reason they think I should be able to perform miracles.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them do think that. My first year at my current school, I was literally the only special ed teacher in the building. My schedule was set for me- 45 minutes for each grade level. All of the children with IEPs would come to me in their 45 minute grade level block, regardless of their needs. Yeah, I won't get into how effective that was

We had four classes per grade level. One of the 2nd grade teachers kept asking me to work on projects/assignments from her class with the student I pulled. I told her I didn't have time to do that and she asked me like 2-3 other times. One day, she happened to see my 2nd grade line in the hallway and then came up and apologized at the end of the day. She said that she'd assumed since the student from her class left by herself, I was seeing her 1:1, so she couldn't understand why I couldn't dedicate some time to helping her with classwork. I actually had 8 2nd graders.

Now I'm not not sure how logically she really thought there was only 1 child in the entire 2nd grade that had an IEP, but hey, at least she apologized when she realized her mistake.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes I want to print out a schedule and put it on my door. Yeah, 25 kiddos shuttled in and out over the day...1:1...not happening.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Same thing here
Old 11-21-2018, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At our school, diagnosticians run the IEP meetings. She frequently recommends time for kids with ADHD to come to my room for a "quieter" testing environment. I've tried to tell her that 3 Sped teachers sharing a classroom, each with their own group, is not a quieter place than Gen. Ed. She doesn't get it.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote