Special Education

Is this a big deal or not?

>

Guest15368

Guest15368

Is this a big deal or not?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I called our state's Department of education because I had a due process question that I couldn't find on their website. I've done this several times over the years and it always worked fine. It was a simple question and shouldn't have been a big deal, but the lady at the dept of ed. called my supervisor and reported that I had called there. My supervisor called me because she was worried that I was upset about something. I explained no I just had a little question about the due process timeline and it was no big deal. I thought it was part of the dept of ed's job to answer such questions. Was this a huge deal, and is it something that could get me fired? I am new to the district.

ElemSped13

Old 11-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I cant imagine why it would get you fired so DH don't worry about that. They probably just want you to contact your supervisor with questions and follow that chain of command.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Won't get you fired, but
Old 11-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It has never crossed my mind to call the department of ed. I'd ask a colleague or the sped director.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest15368

Guest15368

Old 11-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the replies. Yes I will definitely never call them and give my identification info again (which they asked for). I used to call them occasionally because I worked for charter schools and they always seemed happy to answer my question. Sometimes I have a question as to whether or not something is legal from the state department's standpoint, which is more serious than the district guidelines because we could get sued for it. Therefore I believe its within my right to call the dept of ed once in a great while if I have a question that is not answered on their website. But apparently I would have to do it without giving my personal info.

Haley23

Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My teammate does this frequently and to be honest I find it to be really obnoxious. Even if this isn't what you're trying to convey, to me it feels like she is saying that she doesn't trust us or the school/district or even like she's trying to "tattle." I wouldn't recommend doing that again. If you're asked about it, you can play the "I'm new" card and tell them that in your previous charter schools that's what you had to do, since there was no chain of command. Then assure them that you'll go to your supervisor/sped director/whichever district or school person you're supposed to go to next time.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote