Help

Special Education

ID student

>

newbie17

ID student
Old 11-19-2018, 12:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Greetings all!! I'm turning to you because I'm sure many of you have had to deal with what I'm dealing with right now. I had student move into my district that was placed in my resource room. I knew from day 1 this child was not placed correctly, as they are much lower than any of my other 4th graders. Digging through the file I found an incredibly low IQ (less than 65), yet child was not placed ID, but SLD. Anyway, we retested since it was reeval time and this time IQ came back around 70...still ID range but this time did not qualify SLD. It's because of this I have to sit in a meeting and tell the parents that their kid is ID.

I realize this is never an easy conversation, but I'm just sick about it. I'm a very sympathetic person and I hate to hurt or upset people. My sped supervisor sits in on all of our meetings and I'm considering asking for help there. I figure maybe I can ask my supervisor to take the lead and show me how to approach a parent about such a sensitive issue.

Guess my bottom line is, how have you approached this situation? I just keep thinking "oh no, I have to tell these people their child is MR! (with a nicer name attached to it). This is going to break their hearts, I can't break their hearts." Sometimes I believe I'm too much of a softy for this job!

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

It is tough...
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But there are several opportunities to praise the child and mention their strengths as well. I try to mention something good, state the "bad" news and then say another positive.

Since the re-eval part of the meeting happens prior to the IEP part, make sure to mention anything good submitted to you by the gen ed teachers or the evaluator, bring up good things throughout. When it is time to introduce the tests and results, bring up a positive, mention the weaknesses or lows and follow with the strongest parts. Even if you have to use the term "relative strength," it takes even a mediocre score and compares it to a very low score.

When you get to the IQ test, you can mention the increase from low 60s to 70 as a positive. When you get to the tests that eliminated the SLD, state that as a positive too. Read all the results with the same voice, don't drop your voice when mentioning unpleasant things. They have heard all this at the last school when the original IQ and test results where announced. They already have some idea she is very low.

Remain professional and unemotional. As you wrap up, simply state the category change as her eligibility area. Watch your words. Don't say "Unfortunately, that means..." or "I'm sorry to say..." or "The bad news is..."

The parents probably aren't as caught up in the names of the category as you worry. Just say "After reviewing all of the test results, Susie meets the criteria for Special Education services in the category of eligibility named intellectual disability." You and I know that ID is MR-they will not. They are probably unaware of the fact that ID is the same as MR.

Their main concern will most likely be how it affects her services. It doesn't. If we give them what they NEED, the label affects nothing at all at school.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just have a second and I'll try to remember to come back and write more later, but I have been in this position more than once. And depending on how old the child is, many times the parents are relieved. So *that's* why the approach they have been taking (programming for SLD when it's really ID) isn't working! There has also been some relief to get an explanation that makes more sense to people working with this child. My point is, don't go in assuming this is terrible news, and that can help you to frame it more mater-of-factly and not with the lens that this is awful.

Other good thoughts from whatever. And asking your supervisor to help is a *great* idea.

I'm assuming the adaptive scores are commensurately low, of course. otherwise it wouldn't be ID.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 11-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is the same child, just a different label for eligibility. Don't treat it as a terrible thing and it will be ok. I think conferencing or inviting your supervisor is a great idea for your first time since you don' know what they might ask.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie17

Meeting went well!!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well we had the meeting and it went well. My supervisor took the lead and pretty much worded things just like all of you had suggested. At first the parents were definitely overwhelmed by all the information we were throwing at them.

GraceKrispy, you were right! By the time we finished they were relieved!! The mom even said that she was happy to finally have some answers as they had been looking for a diagnosis or reason for their child's struggles for years.

It still wasn't an easy conference but my supervisor handled it like a champ. Also, I earned brownie points for being so direct in asking for help. Supervisor said very few people would have admitted to being worried about things like this and she respected my willingness to step back and take the opportunity to learn from her. So yay me!

Thank you all for your input, I know in the future I'll feel much more confident in this situation.

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote