Special Education

WWYD? Let it go or complain again?

>

madX8

madX8

WWYD? Let it go or complain again?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a special education teacher, and I also have a daughter with a disability. My daughter has a significant disability but has been making progress in her general education classes. For the last three years (2 different case managers), the IEPs just have been so badly written the it makes me ashamed for our profession. No measurable goals and objectives, clearly no one taking data, very vague present levels, whole sections missing. I have refused IEPs, I have asked the district facilitators to the meetings, I sit in meetings asking about data and am being told 'I don't take data' and the district representative just smiles and nods in agreement. When I request the meeting notes, it has nothing about the conversation in it. I refuse the IEP, makes no difference. I know I have education law on my side but in this state it does not seem to matter to anyone. I just got another IEP like that. Here is the thing: I can once again refuse it, have more meetings, file a complaint with the state...In my experience so far, it does nothing to get the school district to improve or care, it might backlash on my kid..and the irony is that she is doing okay. I can not afford to hire an attorney just to prove my point. I can not make a district/teacher care, who does not. I can let it go, and put my money and energy towards helping my children at home. But it absolutly infuriates me. WWYD?

teachsph2008

help your child
Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like you are in a small school district or work for a bunch of idiotic non-caring people. Either way, I can't believe what I just read. Of course you are supposed to write good IEPs for all students, but it would seem, if the parent works for the district, and especially a teacher, you'd think the case manager would write the best IEP ever! Not doing so is very disrespectful.

Or it could be that they simply don't understand how it all works. I don't think you need to hire an attorney. While I don't know of the correct agencies, I'm sure there are state and/or local representatives who are capable of assisting you. I'd start with an advocate. You may even have to contact your state's education agency.

Also, when you get someone to help you, please include how you are concerned about how all of this will affect your daughter's education and your job.
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think this is a personal decision and depends on how much trouble you want to create for yourself. Are you and your daughter in the same district?

I completely understand being frustrated with a poorly written IEP, especially as someone who knows what they're supposed to look like. But to play devil's advocate, you say that the services are going well and you're happy with her progress. So in light of that, does it really matter what the piece of paper says?

I'm too much of a rule follower to write a "bad" IEP, but IMO the paperwork is the least important part of the job and it often gets too much importance placed on it. IME no one reads the IEPs or realizes the amount of work that goes into them. I sometimes get frustrated with the amount of time I spend on paperwork only to have it filed away somewhere as a compliance piece. IMO the classroom teachers that work with the kid have no interest in reading it and would complain it's "too long." As the child's sped teacher I certainly already know the child. The important part is what the actual services look like and how the student is actually doing.

You certainly have the right to complain and would be justified in doing so, but if it were me I'd think about what outcome you're looking for with having better paperwork. Are you potentially moving and need better documentation for a new school? Then I'd definitely fight for it. If you're happy with the services and plan to stay there, I'd question putting all of that time/effort on your part just so you can have some papers that look better.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote