Help

Special Education

Calendars and other supplies

>

musicmeg222

Calendars and other supplies
Old 02-09-2019, 11:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious to see what type of calendar or other organization systems everyone uses to document and keep track of IEP and other due dates. I'm not fond of the giant desk calendars since they're always in the way, but I'm thinking that may be the best option since the dates will always be right in front of me. On the other hand, I can enter in dates into a google calendar or other electronic option. What do you prefer to use to keep track of dates?

Are there any other supplies or things you use in the classroom that you couldn't do without?

Let me know your favorites! I'm trying to get some ideas and want to see what others prefer.

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 02-10-2019, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I want to try the below link.
https://www.bluerocketplanners.com/special-educators/
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

musicmeg222

Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh wow. This is pretty neat. I've never seen or heard of this one before. I like it!

I normally like my personal planners to be as basic as possible. I don't like all of the extra *fluff* that some planners have. Just a few lines for each day and a layout where I can view the whole week on both pages.

I will definitely check this one out. I would prefer to see it in person before purchasing, but this might be a good idea.

Let me know if you purchase and what you think!

HippopotaBuck

Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live on Google Calendar. My district uses Google for everything. I like that I can set reminders and tasks. I just always have it up as a tab on my computer. Super easy to use.

If you're talking about lesson planning books...I could not survive without planbook.com I even have my google calendar linked to it so everything in my calendar shows up in my planbook and I don't miss things.
HippopotaBuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use google calendar and it works perfectly. That way our entire team has access to the meeting schedule, and it's easy to send classroom teachers invites for the meetings as well. No need to purchase anything extra or carry around a paper planner.

I would wait until you've gotten into the classroom and been teaching for awhile before you start purchasing things. I graduated into a really tough job market and was so excited to get my first teaching job that I ran out and bought "school stuff" right away. At least 80% of what I bought was not needed- either similar stuff was already left behind in the classroom, or I didn't end up using what I thought I'd need. Most schools I've worked in have also given a small budget for supplies.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

musicmeg222

Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will definitely wait to see what is already in the classroom. That's a good idea.

Now I have even more questions that are floating around in my head.

I'm taking over a position for a teacher who had to move away. It's an inclusion position, so from what I know so far, I will be going into the regular ed classroom to help specific students. I really hope I'll have my own classroom though. I need space to complete paperwork and IEP's.

Any other tips?

newbie17

Tips for inclusion
Old 02-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did inclusion last year. I co-taught in literacy and it was wonderful! Here are some tips...
1. Get to know and build a good relationship with your coteacher. 2. You and your coteacher are partners, you are not an aide!!
3. Try different methods. There are 6 approaches to coteaching.
4. Help all the students whenever you can. My director always said she wanted to be able to bring an observer into the room and have them not know who was the gen ed teacher and who was the sped teacher. Same with the students, an observer with no knowledge of the students shouldn't know who the sped students are and who the gen ed ones are...with exceptions for those with obvious disabilities of course.

Have fun!! Working in the regular classroom was one of the best experiences of my career!
newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote