Help

Special Education

Scrubs for teachers?

>

HippopotaBuck

Scrubs for teachers?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone else wear scrubs? Do you wear full scrub tops/bottoms or tops only? I teach high school Special Education and wear jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes to work every day. I change diapers, help feed people, and am constantly moving people in and out of wheelchairs. I have a collection of t-shirts but get tired of rotating them. I try to find new shirts that aren't just school t-shirts but everything is low-cut (and I'm a little busty). I don't want to be flashing my kids when changing them or spending tons of money on tops that will make me care if they're dirty. I found a super cute shirt at Walmart the other day and then realized as I was trying it on that it was a scrub top. I don't know what scrub "etiquette" is. Can you wear a scrub top with jeans? Can teachers wear scrubs? My district knows the requirements of my job and tell me to dress however I need to dress. I just don't know...

HippopotaBuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always been jealous of people who can wear scrubs to work and would love to, but I've never seen or heard of teachers wearing them, even in self-contained settings. I probably wouldn't, but that's just me. If you're going to do it, I would probably ask first to make sure it's okay before you spend money.

If they let you wear jeans, gym shoes, and t-shirts, I would guess they might be open to it, but I'd want to make sure. They might be worried about giving off the appearance that you're some sort of medical provider. I've never even seen an actual school nurse or health assistant wear scrubs to school either.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

HippopotaBuck

Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! Our school nurse does wear full scrubs and I was kind of worried about looking like a medical professional. I feel so slumpy in jeans and t-shirts. I have fibromyalgia and some days jeans make it so hard to get down to get down on the ground.
HippopotaBuck is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

Its okay here
Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work at an elementary school and several staff who work in self contained special education classrooms and have duties that involve feeding and toileting wear scrubs. I have also seen scrub tops worn with jeans or other non-dressy pants.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

theroad

Old 02-24-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I so hear this! On the weekends, I work at an ABA day program for children with severe autism. It sounds similar to your day to day in that we work on a lot of basic ADLs with our kids; toileting, feeding, etc. It
does get messy. The center that I work at encourages us to wear "loungewear" - so, for example, think GAP Body. Yoga pants, sneakers, loungey type tops, including sweatshirts. I have a whole wardrobe of cheap leggings and comfy tops I've accrued over the years from Walmart, Kohl's, TJMaxx etc. I live in a very cold climate so most of my lounge tops are cowl-neck long sleeve t-shirts.
Nothing I wouldn't bat an eye at if I really had to throw it away. It is a challenge - good luck!

theroad is offline   Reply With Quote