Career Decisions

Career Choices-esp interested in people in remission

>

Hpylife

Career Choices-esp interested in people in remission
Old 12-27-2017, 12:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!!
I am posting to get some opinions. I ended up landing a dream job for me (at the time). I'm finally teaching full time at a school I love , grade I love, admin I love.

Problem: I am very overwhelmed and not dealing well with all of the "stuff" that comes with teaching--Data collection, lack of time and having to use my own time outside of work to write plans, etc,,,planning multiple lessons per day (I'm in elem school, so resp for teaching all subjects--so about 5 lessons per day. ) I already get into work two hours before contract time, and typically am there about an hour after. I do not want this to be my life. I want work/life balance.

I am in remission from cancer. Since treatment, my memory isn't as good as it used to be so remembering all of the information that we are required to teach can sometimes be very challenging for me.

All of the other things leaves me in a constant feeling of being overwhelmed and stress. When I first started teaching back in late 1996, I ended up quitting teaching after two years for the same reasons. My passion is with preschool (ages 3-5) and so when I quit years ago, I ended up teaching in a preschool for about 10yrs and loved it.

I"d love to quit after this year, however my benefits package is amazing and I really need that for health insurance. I'd love to work at a preschool again, but the pay in my area is about minimum wage for those jobs. So my question is this,,,do or did any of you switch gears and get into some sort of preschool or even start your own brick and morter "preschool" ? (I am not able to run a day care/ prek out of my own home, nor do I want to do daycare)

I also have a passion for helping students with sensory needs, meditation and outdoor/nature education--anyone know of any types of jobs that would involve that?

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 01-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on remission and good for you for putting your health first. Have you checked with your state, park system, children's museums, nature centers, etc. I'm on some kind of mailing list that periodically sends job postings for those type of places in my state.

Not sure about the money but you could check with local home school groups, preschools, and daycares about offering special needs classes or mindfulness.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 01-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the reply...
Yes, I have looked the state, park system, children's museums, nature centers, in my area. They are mostly part time, and the ones that are full time do not offer benefits, and pay minimum wage. I really am looking for something with a decent salary and benefits.

I'll check into the other things you mentioned--homeschool and mindfulness groups.

Thanks for the tips!!
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote