They checked my references and former principal and said no - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

They checked my references and former principal and said no

>

MnToCa

They checked my references and former principal and said no
Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long story short

I applied got an interview and they called my references but still said no.

Right after my interview the Principal emailed me asking if she could contact my former principal, I said yes. So I am concerned that was why i didnt get the job, cause this former principal really didnt like me but its my only teaching experience.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I would find that extremely suspicious. There are reference checking services that can tell you what your references are saying. Try this website:

http://www.checkmyreference.com

Here's also info about what you can do, from fastcompany.com:

Quote:
"In some cases, a negative reference could be illegal. Defamation of character–something like, “I wouldn’t hire this guy in a thousand years–he’s stupid and incompetent”–is a form of slander and you could take your former employer to court, says Shane.

Susan Lessack, partner in the Philadelphia-based law firm Pepper Hamilton says defamation of character is providing false or discriminatory information that harms your reputation, but it’s a slippery slope. “If it’s an honest assessment, it’s not illegal,” she says.

If you believe your former employer is trying to interfere with your getting a new job, you can also sue for interference with prospective contracts. “Those cases are hard to prove,” says Lessack. “You have to show that an employer is actively trying to prevent your employment.”

WHAT YOU CAN DO
For negative references that don’t cross legal boundaries, Lessack says the easiest thing to do is to contact your former employer and ask why they’re giving reference. “Explore whether you could agree to neutral language that would be mutually acceptable,” she says.

Shane suggests sending a strongly worded cease and desist letter addressed to the CEO or another person high up in organization. The letter should name the person who gave the negative commentary, and suggest to the previous employer that they should simply confirm dates of employment and job titles.

“Those letters work 99% of time,” says Shane. “Virtually every company has created policies to just confirm employment. Providing negative comments are always inappropriate and reflect poorly on an organization.”

Shane says you should never ask a potential employer to not contact a former supervisor; it’s a red flag. Since you’re virtually obligated to provide their information, be proactive before you leave a job and ask your boss what he or she would say. If there are unresolved issues, do what you can to address them before you leave.

“References tend to give same information over and over,” says Shane. “If you have a bad reference, identify it sooner than later to eliminate or minimize damage to your career.”
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Thank you
Old 05-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I assume its one of two people. My former mentor teacher or former principal. Those were two people who didn't see eye to eye with teaching styles. Both were extremely old fashioned where my school taught me to teach using student lead not teacher led lessons.

MnToCa

Would it be bad to ask interviewer
Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is there anyway to ask the primcipal who interviewed me about my references?

She told me I did a really nice job interviewing too and said if I have any questions feel free to call her.

teenytiny

Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think asking the principal who interviewed about your reference isn't necessarily a terrible idea. You may or may not get an honest response (if the reference was bad, she might not want to get involved by telling you), but you'll have more info.

If it were me and I was honestly worried, I probably would pony up the money to have one of those reference checking services do it, though.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Ok
Old 05-26-2018, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do they pretend to be a principal or something. Cause I would need them to do so.

MnToCa

Yay I got a job
Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just accepted a SPED position today! Super excited

Idaho4me

Yay!
Old 05-29-2018, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Congratulations!