Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Crazy Event at my School

>

6thGradeEng

6thGradeEng

Crazy Event at my School
Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am finishing my first year of teaching at a really great middle school where the environment is generally respectful, the students are motivated and engaged, and the parents are supportive. Last week, I witnessed a pretty crazy end-of-year event (put on by volunteers) that has become a tradition at our school. I have mixed feelings about it and I wanted to get the board's perspective and see if anyone else does anything like this.

Every year on the last week of school they do a "messy" academic quiz gameshow involving the honor roll students. Sixth, seventh, and eighth graders from our school are paired up against students from another local middle school. The contestant who gets the first correct answer gets to "slime" their opponent with something messy. The students get pies thrown in their faces. They are given large cans of baked beans, Spaghetti-Os, chocolate syrup, and other items to dump over each others' heads and they squirt each other with ketchup and mustard. They end up completely covered from head to foot, slipping around on a tarp and it devolves into a glorified food fight. They use the event to collect donations for a local food pantry.

I have to admit, it was hard for me to watch my students doing this. It felt like a demeaning way to end an otherwise great year. On the other hand, despite some initial apprehension, everyone seemed to have fun and I'm sure it will be one of their longest-lasting middle school memories.

Visiting tea

Visiting tea

Waste
Old 06-17-2018, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To me, promoting a food drive by wasting food seems wrong.

tyrex

Old 06-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds absolutely disgusting on many levels. First of all, what irony that an event that collects donations for a food pantry is based on wasting food.

Do the kids get hosed off afterwards? Seems impossible otherwise for them to get on the school bus or into their parent's car.

Who cleans up the space afterwards?

I have never heard of anything similar. Around here you do hear of the pies in the face, but that's usually the principal of an elementary school when the students meet a reading goal.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
6thGradeEng

6thGradeEng

crazy event
Old 06-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They do it on the lawn behind the school and hose them down afterwards. The students who participate have to bring a towel and a change of cloths.

Mikhail

only if
Old 06-18-2018, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's only demeaning if a person was being forced but there's a school I know where teachers are the ones getting pies on their faces again for fundraising. Other teachers are strongly opposed to it but it's not them that's out there. As always, safety is primary concern.

And in another school the student body does their own slave auction but they don't call it that.

Last edited by Mikhail; 06-18-2018 at 04:05 AM..
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote