Help

The Job Search

using reference letters more than 3 years old

>

dusty

using reference letters more than 3 years old
Old 06-29-2018, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently teaching but I like to be prepared in case i decide to look for a new teaching job or need to look for a new teaching job, so I try to get current letters of recommendation whenever possible, such as when my principal retired. However, it is not that easy to keep getting new letters so i am wondering how old is too old that a school won't even look at a letter. I am no longer in contact with the people who wrote my less current letters so I wouldn't be able to ask them to update it. Is it okay to submit older letters of recommendation mixed in with current letters if that's all you have?
thanks

Last edited by dusty; 06-29-2018 at 03:42 PM..
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-29-2018, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most of the applications I've filled out will put whatever the district's requirement is on there. I've typically seen applications ask for letters within 3 years or letters within 5 years.

If all you have is older letters, I wouldn't let that stop me from applying. There is always a chance that the hiring principal doesn't care that much. I think the letter of rec thing is silly and outdated- everyone does reference calls anyway so why do you also have to submit a letter?
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote