The Job Search

how do you answer these questions?

>

frustrated18

frustrated18

how do you answer these questions?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught middle school 2 years ago and resigned due to an unhealthy work environment. The principal told me in December that they were not sure if they were going to renew my contract. The principal told me that they would work with me to improve. They had me observe teachers and had me write a three page reflection each time but never discussed it with me. In March, they still hadn't given me any real support so I resigned. I subbed last year in a different district. This summer I have gone on 6 interviews. I was offered a position 2 weeks ago but they called my previous school and the ap gave a bad reference. The principal hadn't returned their phone call after several attempts. I was told that since the ap gave me a bad reference, they couldn't give me the job. What do I say if I'm asked if I resigned instead of nonrenewal? and what would your principal say if we asked them about you?

twin2

Similar experience
Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not really qualified to answer this question but my thoughts are that you should turn it into a learning experience, stress that you have and continue to reflect on it. Tell them what you could do differently in a similar situation. Do not discredit anyone from the previous school. Show that you can be flexible and are willing to learn from your team.

I did a long term (6 weeks beginning on their sixth week of school) that went badly and this is the advice my principal gave. It doesn't matter that there were some students transitioning to our school when the board redistricted. It doesn't matter that the teacher had a hard time with them, that she didn't have procedures and routines in place. It doesn't matter that one very traumatzed little boy ran the classroom. What matters is what I learned from it and what I will do differently.

I have reflected and almost a year later, I see my mistakes. I see what is important to me as a teacher. I should have initially focused on building a community, and not assumed the teacher had. The behavior problems in that room when I observed her were there for a reason. I just didn't have the experience to see it at the time. I thought I was supposed to pick up where she left off and hit the ground running. i should have pretended it was their first weeks of school and started from scratch. If it comes up I have to convince them I have grown as a teacher and belong in the classroom.

My personal opinion is that you have to do the same.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Reference
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought it was illegal to give a bad reference.? Thought that they could only state that you worked there.
Do you have a union that could work with your past ap?
Itís not right that your ap is making it difficult for you to get a different job. Sometimes unions can intervene on your behalf.
Good luck.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote