Career Decisions

working in the neighborhood

>

anonquestion

anonquestion

working in the neighborhood
Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers, should I teach at a school 30 mins. away or one that is 10 mins. away. I've never lived in the community in which I've taught at. The biggest concern is that I would feel like even if I were to go out and pick up groceries, emergency meds or whatever that I would have to look somewhat put together while out in the community. Should I be concerned about this fact? Thanks

thewoodcould

Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand the concern. I personally teach 30min away from where I live for the purpose of not worrying about being seen in the community. It just depends on if something like how you're seen in the community matters.

Now I'm saying it doesn't matter how you look. It's just if you feel like having to deal with the people that know you on a daily basis.
thewoodcould is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-25-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, a 10-minute commute each way, times 180 days, is 3,600 minutes.

A 30-minute commute each way, times 180 days, is 10,800 minutes.

The difference is 7,200 minutes, or 120 hours. - I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with that time than drive.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Noelbastable

Noelbastable

Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would rather take the 10 minute commute, any day. Some reasons:

1) I live 40 minutes away from my school and I have still run into students out and about.
2) I like sleeping and being able to be at home a school much as possible.
3) Like I said, I donít live in my schoolís community, and that can be a bummer. There are often events going on that all my kids are attending and I donít know about them and/or canít attend because it wouldnít be worth the gas and time to get there, but I would like to be able to attend these things sometimes.

(For instance, sometimes a lot of my students will mention theyíre going to be in the holiday parade. Could I make that drive? Sure, but realistically Iím not going to when itís possible they wouldnít even see me. If I lived right there, Iíd be much more inclined to do so.)

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-31-2018, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 4 min away and go out looking like cr*p all the time. I never see kids. And if I do, it is what it is.

I really like living where I work and being part of the community.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 07-31-2018, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with what GreyhoundGirl said about being a part of the community.

I walk half a block to my school and have school kids living on each side of me!

I see school kids out all the time who have to stop me to say hello — dh thinks it’s cute! I just smile and have a bit of small talk and I’m on my way!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-31-2018, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it's just a personal preference. I purposefully got an apartment a little further away from my school (about 20 minutes) because I like some separation.

I too would feel like I had to look put together all of the time, and don't want to deal with parents judging what's in my grocery cart or stopping me for a conference in aisle 3. After a long day at work I don't want to run into "that kid" out in public either. On a Friday I want to be able to go to a local happy hour and not worry about some busy body parent deciding that drinking alcohol off the clock isn't "being a good role model."

Most of the time I don't mind the little drive to get to work. It gives me time to kind of mentally prepare for my day on the way to work, and decompress on the way home.

YMMV, of course. My parents are also teachers. My dad feels the same way I do- when they were house hunting, he refused to even look at homes in his school district, let alone his school's neighborhood. My mom worked 2 miles down the road and absolutely loved it. She always said she felt like a celebrity because kids were shouting her name everywhere she went. Just a personality difference- that seems awful to me! Leave me alone when I'm not at school!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote