Help

The Job Search

Interviewing while working summer

>

SpecialEdq

Interviewing while working summer
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I am special ed teacher at a special education school (a collaborative). My students have severe Autism and my job requires me to work a 6 week, Monday through Friday, full day summer program. I get two sick days and I've used one day already for an interview. I have another interview that wants me to come in on Thursday at 9. I asked very nicely to come in at 3:30 or later because of my work. Do you think it will reflect badly that I asked to change the interview time. I am trying interview after school as much as possible so that I can use that sick day for a future interview just in case I come across a district that is inflexible. I am just wondering if Im turning people off me by asking to change the time.

SpecialEdq is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-23-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you explained that it was due to your summer work, you demonstrated responsibility. It may be inconvenient for them, but they should appreciate that you are responsible! If they take it negatively, they are thinking only of themselves. Would you want to work for selfish admin?
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the pp. Make sure you explain that you need the alternate time because you are teaching in the summer. One time right out of college, an interviewer had to schedule a phone screening around my break at work and then wanted me to come in for an in person interview the next day. I told her I was already scheduled to work and was only available after a certain time, and started apologizing profusely. She said, "Don't apologize; I like that you're working. I'd much rather call someone that's working than sitting at home waiting by the phone."

If the school you're interviewing with won't budge on the time slot, that would make me think they potentially already have someone in mind- maybe an internal candidate or a student teacher or something. If they're really excited to meet you they will make it work. I would save that last sick day for a "dream job" interview- maybe a place that's more competitive and less likely to work around your schedule b/c they have a lot of candidates.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote