Help

The Job Search

Difficulties with resigning

>

SpecialEdq

Difficulties with resigning
Old 07-27-2018, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had an excellent interview yesterday. The SPED director and principal were the interviewers and they seemed enthusiastic and it was just generally a great feeling on both sides. I feel I nailed every question and noticed they both took pages of notes on my answers. When I asked about mentoring and professional development the principal talked at length about the programs available with very much a "selling me on the school" tone and at the end of the interview he made a point to stop me from leaving to give me the orientation and back to school dates. I also got a response from the SPED director to my thank you email saying she will definitely update me as soon as she has more information and notify me before she contacts my principal. So I have a good feeling about this interview.

The SPED director said she has a great relationship with my current principal and saw I said not to contact her. I explained that I haven't told her I am leaving and would be ok with her being contacted if I were the finalist and I were given the opportunity to inform her first. The SPED director said she would respect those conditions.

Here is my problem, last week I signed my letter of intent. I didn't have this interview yet and had decided to stop looking and just let whatever happens with my current applications happen. Last year was my first year teaching and I genuinely enjoy my job and school, but it's a collaborative and the pay is low and my student loans are high. I also miss the environment of working in a public elementary school. I just got an email from my principal saying she is on vacation for the next two weeks. If this job offer comes and they want to talk to my principal how do I go about A.) Informing her that I am likely leaving B.) Prepare her for being contacted and ask for a reference. I do not feel comfortable giving out her personal number without asking and I don't feel great about contacting her on her vacation regarding all this. I had hoped to tell her in person. I am kicking myself for not telling her about the fact that I was looking, but I ask my mentor and she said not to, that it would make things very awkward and difficult for me for the rest of my time at this school. I don't have any reason to think she would bad mouth me. My evaluations and feedback have been good. What should I do?

SpecialEdq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Interview
Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wait until they offer you the job. Do you have a copy of your evaluations you could show them? Let them know you just found out she’ll be on vacation.

Could they email your principal? That way she could check it at her convinence.

Tell your principal what you stated here, that you liked the school as such but this offer is more so you can pay your bills.
Who knows maybe they’ll have a bidding war over you.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2018, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would wait until you hear from the new school that you're definitely the top candidate and that the last step is contacting your principal. Although it does sound like things will work out, they may have had other really good interviews as well, so you just want to be 100% sure before you say anything.

When the new school calls to tell you this, tell them that your principal is on vacation- that you can give her email, but you're not sure if she'll be checking. Give them contacts for other references they can call instead/in the mean time if they'd like- teammates, instructional coach if you have one, cooperating teacher from student teaching, etc. Give as many names as you can.

Then email your current principal and explain that you wanted to speak in person, but the timing just didn't work out right. Explain how much you love your current school, love working for her, etc. etc. but that the money just isn't enough for you and that you have to make a "tough financial decision." Thank her for giving you your first job and talk about what a pleasure it was to start at her school.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialEdq

I got the job
Old 08-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I got the job!!! but as a last step they need to contact my principal. I emailed her and got an automated response that she is out of the office. After talking to my colleagues I also text messaged her as the sooner she knows she has a position to fill the better. I profusely apologized for interrupting her vacation and not being able to speak in person. I hope she is understanding.
SpecialEdq is offline   Reply With Quote