Help

Intervention & Title I Services

How to serve math students

>

westwood

How to serve math students
Old 08-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the past our title math program followed what the teacher was teaching in the classroom. As we go further into the RTI model, we are being utilized more for interventionist. It seems we need to get away from what is happening in the classroom and doing more skill specific intervention. How do you select your students and determine what to teach? Thanks for your help!

westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We create a rank order list based on previous spring (if available) and current fall MAP data. That is the primary resource for determining who works with our math interventionist, though teachers also make recommendations based upon what they are seeing in class.
They use the RIT band from MAP to determine where each group starts and then adjust as they start working and see what the kids can do and what the most foundational needed skills are. I am reading not math, but I know our math interventionist does some working memory and number sense type work with every group along with whatever skill/content they are working on. I am in a Title school with a high population of refugees and ELLs, so in our building the kids working with our interventionist for math typically are below the 10th percentile on the math MAP And they also work with monolingual non-English speakers with limited schooling.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Math Intervention
Old 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All the math interventionists in my district have been trained in Math Recovery, the first and second classes. This aligns with our district math program which is Bridges. Interventionists use the activities and games outlined in the three Math Recovery books.

Even though Bridges has an intervention program, that is pretty much reserved for six weeks of summer school remedial math.

Students are chosen for math intervention based on being at 24% or lower on MAPS and classroom recommendations if there are open seats not filled by the MAPS scores...which seldom happens.

My school has two trained math interventionists who also do reading intervention. Each grade level has one or two classes of four students per class who attend tier two math intervention four days per week for thirty minutes per day. Tier three math intervention before referral for special ed has one or two students four days per week for thirty minutes per day.

Usually students qualify for special ed because of their reading needs, and some of these students eventually qualify for special ed math.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote