Career Decisions

What would you do?

>

helptodecide

helptodecide

What would you do?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I signed out due to confidentiality. I have a lot of teaching experience and was moved to a new building within the district and different class. I was not happy about it. I know it happens. Anyway, I also got offered a virtual teaching position making the same amount of money. I see pros to both and cons to both. The virtual position is still an office environment. It is for 7th grade special ed. I am doing 4th grade special ed.

What would you do?

Haley23

Old 08-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would you be okay with not interacting with students face to face? As part of the position, what kind of responsibility/accountability do you have as far as student data goes? How is your evaluation done? I would be concerned that it would be a lot harder to motivate kids to pay attention/do work etc. when they can simply get up and walk away from the computer screen, especially given that a number of kids are already in that environment because they couldn't handle regular school (I know there are exceptions, before someone jumps all over that).

I've personally always thought that online teaching would be very depressing and isolating. Most of the time I like having somewhere to get dressed up and go to every day, and I like interacting with my students. Maybe some of that piece is better if you're still going to an office and presumably at least seeing other adults every day.

Is the virtual school a charter? I'd look very carefully into the job requirements (most charters require a lot more work/time from their teachers without giving more money) and think about the job security. Make sure you're not required to be "on call" to your students at all hours. Is the position secure if enrollment drops-keeping in mind that charters can let teachers go mid-year.

I would also consider any ramifications in leaving your current job. In the districts I've worked in, you forfeit your last paycheck (which is a lot of money, b/c we get paid monthly) if you quit within 30 days before school starts. Other places can try to go after your license.

I wasn't sure from the post if school has already started where you are (it has here) but I assume at least it's starting very soon. In my area, a late sped opening would very likely go unfilled. On the one hand, I completely understand needing to do what's best for you (especially after being moved involuntarily), but on the other hand I personally would feel a lot of guilt over that.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
helptodecide

helptodecide

Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I should have included that I spent 5 years in virtual education as well as 7 in brick and mortar. I also currently work at a brick and mortar charter school. Yes, the virtual job is also a charter. I can leave without notice. I am sure I would have to give back some pay though.

I also asked about the on call hours and they wrote it down as the job ends at 4 but if I want to schedule after hours, that was my choice. Their enrollment has remained stable.

That is my other issue. School starts Monday for me (with kids). I AM upset about being moved schools in the district and assignments though. My new room is basically a closet with no space to move. People seem okay, but I am desperately missing my old co workers. I also will fill guilty... which is why I am not sure.

I don't think they would have trouble filling it.

MrsPhysics

Cyber courses
Old 08-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My teaching duty (one period) last year was ďteachingĒ cyber math. Once enrollments picked up after the first month of school, I usually had around 20 students to monitor while they took their various cyber math courses. I would have hated it if it was a full time gig. Basically I had to check their progress in the course every day and keep track of it. Students would not do the necessary work (itís not easy like they think itís going to be) and I only had a handful who passed their classes. I was constantly reaching out and hearing nothing back. Then I would have to tell the program directors. I just really hated the whole experience. The best part of teaching (the connections with the students) was gone. It was all me clicking through the website, keeping data in a spreadsheet, and sending fruitless emails. Iím not sure if your experience would be similar or completely different...have you talked to anyone who teaches at the school?
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote